Courtney L,

I've done a lot of work with Shirley Allegre (of this list - her computer
is offline for another week or so).  Since Shirley and I shared so many
lines, we did a lot together.  She's in northern CA and I'm in southern
CA.  We both ordered the film and went to work at it, collecting whole
families (they are intermarried, so might as well).  Every time we got a
new priest or scribe, we moaned.  There was one in Ponta Garca that we
nicknamed the "Chinese priest."  His writing style was very square and
boxy, like what you would see with Chinese letters.  Shirley would get mad
at him and threatened to go to the Azores and dig him up and make him
rewrite the records!  But we got used to him.  And then we got a different
one!  Ugh!  He was so much worse than the first.  But after we got done
whining and moaning about his penmanship (or lack thereof), we got used to
him too.

Keep on trying. You'll start to see the names jump out after awhile.  Then
you'll start to see the months.  The years (numbers) will be last because
they are all long hand.  But with time, they come along too.

Achada