From: Eileen Leite
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2013 8:31 AM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Esteves/Steves/handwriting

There have been a lot of great tips shared for deciphering the handwriting in
the records, thanks! After several years I still struggle every time a priest
retires and the handwriting changes.

Reading a new batch of records these past few weeks, I had some trouble, and
returned to my reading old records roots. These tips may be useful if you are
new at this:

Before you start researching online, open up a Portuguese Paleography
(handwriting)  guide (available at Cheri and Rosemary’s wonderful website, and
also at the Familysearch Portugal wiki) and a Portuguese numbers list  in
separate windows to have them available for reference. (You can google
‘Portuguese Paleography’ and ‘Portuguese numbers’.) Also a list of months if
you are new.

When you find a record online, be sure to save it and then rename it to reflect
what it is. You can go back later when your skills have improved and find
things you missed the first time.  I always include the date as well as the
person in the file name: ‘Baptism Jose Bento Daniel’ can be confusing if there
end up being 3 Jose Bento Daniels!

DO NOT assume the cursive you learned in your youth applies!  In too many cases
it will not.  Letter shapes change though time and from priest to priest. What
looks like one letter may be a totally different letter. A clear (to my eye)
Capital ‘Y’ was in fact a Capital ‘S’.   I was looking for da Silva, and almost
missed this record  because I thought I saw a “Y”.  Plus, Silva was abbreviated
to a capital ‘S’ with a superscript ‘a’.  See attached if you’re curious. Right
side, on top. The one with the Y in the margin, haha. Joze da Silva e Maria do
Carmo.   But this wonderful priest wrote the date in numbers, not words, so I
love him.

Re: abbreviations: it was the texting of its time. Shortening words became an
art as they saved time, ink and paper. See ‘leg’ superscript ‘o’, after filho,
fourth line of the attached record. (Record on top right, it starts immediately
to the right of the ‘1848’ in the margin.) It is ‘legitimo’. “Filho legitimo”.

Compare letters in unknown words with shapes in recognizable words on the same
page.  In the attached record, ‘Antonio de Santos’ appears in the middle of the
left-hand page, confirming the “Y” shape is actually a capital “S”.

Looking at surrounding records can also clarify dates. I first read the year on
the attached record as 1843 – except the previous page shows clearly 1847, so I
looked at the date again.  It is 1848.

Words may be arbitrarily split in the middle or run together, in the middle of
the line or at the end. See ‘Ju   nho’, first line to right of margin ‘1848’,
top right record,  in the attached.  It’s one word, ‘Junho’ (June). In this
time period the record starts with the date, so you are looking for a month’s
name in the first line.  if you have the list of months at your elbow, you can
determine it.

Spelling is not always what you expect.   Jose may be Joze, my husband’s name
Leite is sometimes spelled Leyte.  Don’t skip past a record because you are
looking for Jose Leite and it says Joze Leyte.

Be of good cheer and do not be discouraged! Yyour eye adjusts and your ability
increases as you do it.  After years of effort, I still feel extremely inept at
reading the records, but have found so many of my husband’s people. I’m the
German/Irish side, his people come from Sao Miguel, Azores, but I have the
genealogy ‘bug’ so I do the research. And the ability has come.  Part of me
feels that these people want to be found, and they want you to find and
remember their children.  They will help you.

Also, be open-minded about names!  After a thousand Marias and 300 Rosas,
finding a ‘Laura’ or a ‘Michaelha’ can freeze your brain for a second.  Haha.

Eileen Leite

Leite, Rebello, de Brum; Ponta Garca, Povocoao, and Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel