this is basic science.

Your DNA is only 50% from one parent, and that goes back forever.  So the mixes
keep happening.  Just like one brother can have blue eyes and blonde hair and
the other one green eyes and brown hair, none of us (except identical twins)
have the same DNA.  However, if the preponderence is of one and that is true of
someone else, you are probably related through one parent (sometimes in
Portuguese and other European lineages, through both because second and third
cousins often married) which is not illegal (even in the US) and rarely leads
to birth defects or genetic disease like cystic fibrosis (which comes from DNA
that is too much alike and may carry recessive genes that when combined are no
longer recessive but become dominant)  Perhaps someone can clarify for me how
the DNA genealogy test works since it would appear the only way to get much of
a clear lineage is if there is a preponderence of "similar" genes.

Fred
On Nov 3, 2013, at 8:09 PM, his...@aol.com wrote:

> Cheri,
>
> Amusing and confusing!  When I talked to you on the phone, I asked if it
> would be useless to test my brother with family finder, because I assumed we
> would be identical, and you said it might be different.  You were right. I
> have 97.59% Western European and 2.41% Africa.  My brother has 86.76.%
> Western Europe and 13.24% Middle Eastern (Northern Africa)  On the map, my
> Africa is in the French West Africa including Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast Ghana
> and Nigeria.  and the southern part including South Africa, Mozambique and
> Kenya.  It even list the African tribes (if that's what their called?). Bantu
> Kenya, Bantu So. Africa, Biaka Pygmy and Mandenka.   My brother doesn't list
> any of these, and I don't have any Middle Eastern.  As far as I know all my
> grandparents were Portuguese, except I don't know about my grandfathers
> parents.  I'm assuming his mother was Portuguese, but his father could have
> been some seaman on a ship that docked in Angra.  My grandfather had blue
> eyes.
>
> I don,t think I'll every understand this DNA stuff.  All I wanted was to find
> my grandfathers "incognito's"
>
> Helen Salvador
> Fremont, CA

Thank you,