I don't see see the big deal. Portugal has it own customs and culture and
these things just happened, not in any formal sense. People have many names
and sometimes they just get truncated. So over time, you may get to
discover your ancestor's whole name. It may even include a nickname, which
was common and part of the culture. I get this question all the time. It's
because name usage was not that formal or rigid. Literacy was just
beginning for the vast majority. But I will say when the devotional names
became predominant they often make it difficult to ascertain which ancestor
is really yours. I also find the more info and variations in name your
ancestor has, the more it can come in handy when you have a difficult
record to decipher, or decide whether it really is your ancestor. So what I
do is keep one or two essential names and and make simple notes of the
variations. I almost couldn't find my own Roia ancestor because he used the
name Joao da Costa when he married, but thereafter, he never used it again.
His children and grandchildren never used Costa either. It was Roia ever
after- Amen!!

By the way, I think this ancestor of yours is in the archives under Manuel
Bernardo Teixeira. I believe I discussed this line with someone and N.
Teixeira.

JR