eliseu

De: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] Em nome de JR
Enviada: quinta-feira, 8 de Janeiro de 2015 16:01
Para: azores@googlegroups.com
Assunto: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Devotional names

I don't see see the big deal. Portugal has it own customs and culture and these
things just happened, not in any formal sense. People have many names and
sometimes they just get truncated. So over time, you may get to discover your
ancestor's whole name. It may even include a nickname, which was common and
part of the culture. I get this question all the time. It's because name usage
was not that formal or rigid. Literacy was just beginning for the vast
majority. But I will say when the devotional names became predominant they
often make it difficult to ascertain which ancestor is really yours. I also
find the more info and variations in name your ancestor has, the more it can
come in handy when you have a difficult record to decipher, or decide whether
it really is your ancestor. So what I do is keep one or two essential names and
and make simple notes of the variations. I almost couldn't find my own Roia
ancestor because he used the name Joao da Costa when he married, but
thereafter, he never used it again. His children and grandchildren never used
Costa either. It was Roia ever after- Amen!!

By the way, I think this ancestor of yours is in the archives under Manuel
Bernardo Teixeira. I believe I discussed this line with someone and N. Teixeira.

JR