i see your problems and raise you life in hong kong, where i picked up
a phone for HK$300 in the 3-shop, no contract, and after two months of
local and international calls had a gentle SMS reminder I should pop
into the shop and pay my bill of HK$29.50.
that's about £2.
AND the phones work on the MTR/underground.
funny though there's no public toilets on the MTR here, and the corp
is saying it's technically impossible blah blah blah just like London
says its impossible to put in aircon and phone signals blah
blah.......... maybe a technology swap is in order. London gives us
its toilet technology and we give London aircon and mobile phones on
the tube!