"The charge concerns the use of Microsoft technology in the corporation's
forthcoming iPlayer. "

On the BBC News website.  Using the meaning I said!  TYS

On 26/06/07, Christopher Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am also against the use of WM DRM as a matter of principle, but I think
we
all have to realise that the iPlayer trial is a closed, walled-garden
trial,
and I fully expect the setup to change once a viable alternative is
developed and brought to a quality level where it's robust enough to
handle
everything possible (including kids and grannies all using the same
service,
with their various skill levels)...

... What's that, nobody else has come up with a truly-viable open
framework-based system which is production level ready? Oh dear, best get
paying some developers then. The biggest problem I can see with an
open-standards-and-framework DRM platform is that, because it's open, by
its
very nature everybody can see its innards and the hackers have an even
easier starting point with which to break the system, because all the base
code is given to them in a silver tarball.

I'd much rather see an open, platform-agnostic DRM system for the iPlayer
than a WM DRM short-term solution, but at the end of the day the
implementation of any DRM system is a moot issue; it is all doomed to
failure. This discussion has become more embedded in the particulars of
one
scheme versus another when I think we're forgetting that the BBC is
largely
at the behest of its many rights holders - all of whom (in my opinion)
bandied together and forced the Beeb to implement a solution that suited
_them_, not the BBC or the Trust's list of requirements. They had to bend
the will of the rights holders and agencies, because without content, any
system will flop, regardless of whether it works on machines ranging from
your mum's XP laptop to your geeky flatmate's BSD cluster.

What's a Corporation to do?

visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  Unofficial