On 26/06/07, Ian Betteridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 26 Jun 2007, at 20:48, Brian Butterworth wrote:

> I was joking, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have stuck the "TYS"
> on the end.  In fact, if you read the article it refers to the
> Windows based catchup service as the iPlayer only in the text and
> all the services (excluding cable and the later services) as the
> iPlayer in the infobox.

Ahh, an acronym I'm not familiar with! Ignore the rest of what I said
then...

Sorry, it's the (-start transactional analysis-) child-parent "told you
so"...  Sarcarm is both a) terrible in emails and b) the lowest form of wit.

> Many people I have spoken to inside and outside the BBC do indeed
> suggest that Mr Highfield's comments should be taken with advice.

In general, yes, but when it comes to strategy I'd suggest he knows
what's going on. What's going on might not be any good, but that's
another argument...

I do try to watch them all, and I monitor his feed at the BBC Press Office
and I've got a iGoogle Google News "Ashley Highfield" feed which has just
told me he's not getting a bonus this year.  Which suggests he has been
appropriately rewarded for the "what's going on bit" (as in "I ask for
nothing"/"You shall receive it in abundance").

> Prey oh exhalted one, tell me great oracle, whence is a simple
> licence fee payer supposed to know whence the definition of the
> iPlayer product is to be definitity found?  And also why!

When it's actually released?

Is there an internal name that you use to distinguish the
Internet-catchup-service from the vod/podcasts, cable service and TV channel
live streaming that we could use so we can refer to the correct bit?

visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  Unofficial