On 8/1/07, Simon Cobb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   (EXTREMELY) minority OSes? I mean, come on, hands up who here on the
> > list uses Linux as their primary OS.
>
> And me. And as such I just accept that if I want to watch any channel's
> output on-demand, there's a box in my living room that will capture it
> for me with the minimum of configuration.
>
> It's an old-fangled piece of tech called a video recorder.

I hope you're destroying those recordings after 30 days!
(or 7 days after first viewing, which ever comes sooner)

Actually, bad news:

It has come to my attention that Argos are proliferating (on sale, no
less!) a "DVD Recorder" device for the infringing-inducing,
low-low-price of just 79.99:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5334427/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500006565.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D1500006604.DVD%2Band%2Bvideo%3EC%24cip%3D1500006607.DVD%2Brecorders.htm

Here's how it works (now pay attention, because this is tricky):

* Infringer buys one DVD Recorder (79.99) and one 5-pack DVD-R discs
(street price: 5.99)

* Discs are placed in the pirating receptacle, shiny side down. With a
felt-tip pen the perp may flaunt their infringement on the other side.

* The "Record" (from the Latin "recordus", meaning "theft") button is pressed.

That's it! That's all!

It's just a short step from there to inserting the DVD into a standard
computer (Windows, Mac or Linux -- it's completely cross platform) and
uploading the whole lot to YouTube! Or giving it to a friend. Or
storing it on a shelf, indefinitely.

> But that's just me

Oh Simon, if only that were true. The scourge of home recording has
been with us for a generation now.  The sooner the BBC can put this
genie back in the bottle, the better.