On Jan 24, 2008 10:31 AM, Brian Butterworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> > > *I* know I can do this, I just wanted to know why the BBC was providing
> > > poisoned information.  Why should people who have paid for Windows Vista
> > > Ultimate Edition have a poor service on purpose?
> >
> > Why should the BBC optimise its schedule services for the benefit of one
> > particular manufacturer of DTT viewing software?  As Martin describes,
> > there are standard ways of accurately timing recordings from DTT, and if
> > Microsoft doesn't choose to make them available to users of its
> > software, I don't think it's reasonable to blame the BBC or any other
> > broadcaster for this.
>

> The BBC should not CHANGE the schedule, and I am not saying it should.
>
> I am saying that if the BBC knows that a programme is scheduled at 2202-2232
> then it should deliver that data correctly to the EPG providers.
>
> Somewhere inside the TVC is a computer system that has some code in it, or
> is operated by a person, who programmes in the automatic play out of a
> pre-recorded programme for a time slot which is translated into the
> published EPG for a slightly different time.
>
> And I am sure everyone knows how I feel about the BBC dictating restricted
> standards to the public.

The person and the system with the precise schedule are sitting little
bit up the road in the Broadcast Centre, but that's a moot point.

The BBC - and all the other broadcasters - don't publish the exact
start times of programmes anywhere. As I mentioned, the way your
Freeview box knows that Newsnight has started at 2232 is because at
2232, a flag goes up somewhere saying "oh, hey, you know that
programme that we said was on at 2230? It's starting in a few seconds,
so if you want to record it, now would be a good time to start." It's
how things worked in the damp string days of analogue with PDC, and
it's how it continues to work with DVB Event Information Tables.

Your beef seems to be with the fact that your media player of choice
is using a listings guide that's based on the same information that's
provided to the newspapers for their listings pages, rather than a
service with live-updating cues, such as the one provided over the air
with DTT.

In summary: blame Microsoft, not the BBC.
(Or at least, if you're going to blame the BBC, you may as well also
direct some ire at Red Bee Media, their listings subsiduary BDS, ITV
Network Centre, Channel 4, Sky, etc, etc.)

 - martin