Thanks for the response

On 24/01/2008, Martin Deutsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2008 3:31 PM, Brian Butterworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> > "broadcasters - don't publish the exact start times of programmes
> anywhere",
> > which is not quite
>
> Can I assume the word missing from the end of your sentence was "true"?
>
> If you can show me a broadcast schedule for a major channel which
> publicly publishes, in advance, the exact start times of their
> programmes (eg Never Better, Tonight at 2202 on BBC Two), then I'll
> gladly eat a copy of the Radio Times[1].

I have already said that the BBC Radio 4 schedule is to the minute.

[...]
> > > In summary: blame Microsoft, not the BBC.
> > > (Or at least, if you're going to blame the BBC, you may as well also
> > > direct some ire at Red Bee Media, their listings subsiduary BDS, ITV
> > > Network Centre, Channel 4, Sky, etc, etc.)
> >
> > I'm not trying to BLAME anyone here, I'm trying to find out where the
> EPG
> > information gets nobbled and make an attempt to get some to "acknowledge
> > mistakes" and provide  "accuracy" in the data.
> >
> > If I can get a signed letter from someone at the BBC saying that it's
> > Microsoft's fault, then I can go an staple it to the "Memorandum of
> > Understanding" and get MS to sort it out.
>
> It's not being nobbled. The information you want isn't out there. It
> may exist internally, but it's not for public consumption. The
> standard method[2] is to get billed timings from the schedule in
> advance, and then look for when that event's 'running' in the EIT.
> From what you've said so far, Microsoft have chosen to do it a
> different way in Media Center.

Of course the information exists internally!  Saying that something that the
BBC, which is funded by a universal tax on the public, which is a PUBLIC
service broadcasters cannot provide said public with any information is
quite frankly appalling.

Yes, Microsoft have chosen to assume that the schedule information they get
is accurate.

If someone at the BBC wishes to force them to rewrite their BDA, which they
use in every country in the world, to make it more UK-centric, I would be
happy about that.

I know everyone here likes having a go at Microsoft, but it's the BBC that
has a Memoramdum of Understanding, so I probably should be someone in the
BBC's job to say "that EPG information we provide you with is inaccurate,
please redesign your broadcast architecture".

I suspect the problem lies with the fact that the MS record facility is a
'file copy' from the source to the hard drive without any decoding or
interpretation of the data.

> As far as I can tell with the Media Center, the DVB-T reception (or DVB-S
> as
> > an alternative) is too abstracted from the PVR functions.  It took quite
> > lot of effort to get them to recognise the damn radio stations!
>
> ...so do you think the broadcasters should try to make up for your
> media player's shortcomings? Or should Microsoft perhaps make their
> software more aware of the way things are done around here?

Both.  There are not incompatible.

Remember that the MS system works with DVB-T, DVB-S and also can work with
an external set-top box and a analogue input.  So, reading the DVB streams
better would work with digital data, but not with an external decoder.

- martin

--
Please email me back if you need any more help.

Brian Butterworth
http://www.ukfree.tv