festering box squatting in the corner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian Butterworth
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:47 PM
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] HD-DVD / Blu Ray

On 21/02/2008, Darren Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

All of this is true enough, but (and there's always a but) you still
have the physical artefact, don't you? Even if it's gaffer taped with a
hundred others, you still have the physical object you shelled out your
money for. The digital stuff is, by your own admission, descended from
the objects. Brands may be virtual but I for one prefer to buy  the
disc. Why? Because there's something tangible to show for the
transaction after completion, not something ephemeral that is rather
difficult to pin down. There is something that is identifiable as being
of worth.

No, I gave away all 486 Star Trek and 150+ Dr Who videos.  I no longer
need a loft to keep them in.

However I find it interesting that you link "something that is
identifiable" with "being of worth".   So the three billion Auntie
spends on telly, radio and downloads has no worth, by your definition.

I suspet that the linkage you state is not real, and is simply a matter
of faith to people who used to make money from it.

It's a bit like when CDs started and people said they would never catch
on because people NEEDED gatefold and poster sleve, that CD cases were
"too small" and so on.

Just the Satus Quo, the status quo becomes old hat.  I love seeing all
the old pre-war cars doing the London to Brighton run, but people
wouldn't rush out to buy them...

        That's not to say I don't buy the ephemeral stuff - I have
purchased stuff on my iPod - but I am certainly more cautious about
buying items that way. How unusual I am I can't say.