Or reuse -- think of DAT, which the music industry succeeded in
killing as a consumer format in the late 80s and was relegated to
recording studios, but which got a new lease on life as a SCSI data
backup format.

The original CD-Audio Red Book gave rise to the CD-ROM XA Yellow Book
after all (multisession and strengthened data correction).