Gareth Davis wrote:
> Why would it be? SDI is the usual way we send SD digital audio and video
> round the studios. The bitrate may be high, but it is still interlaced
> SD resolution video. I can't remember the various different bandwidth
> figures for HD SDI, and I can't be bothered digging through my training
> notes from Wood Norton now - But I think they are measured in Gbps.

Most HD-SDI (ie. 1080i50 or 720p50) is up to a nominal 1.5Gbps. Anything
higher resolution (eg. 1080p50) needs cables capable of 3Gbps or
dual-link existing cables.

Note the rather nifty Dirac Pro solutions to avoiding having to upgrade
cables - able to compress 1.5Gbps into 270Mbps to run over SD links with
fairly low quality loss, and to compress 1080p or 1200p (up to 3Gbps) to
run over a single 1.5Gbps link losslessly. Great work, Tim & Co!

-jeremy