Actually, CSS stylesheets are fully supported by Outlook, Outlook
Express, and Thunderbird at least, and I am using CSS to generate
size-efficient HTML emails that use the stylesheets from the website
(though obviously, the path to the css file needs to be a full absolute
URL) - do you still have an email client that doesn't support CSS, if
so, what is it?

I've many colleagues who use pure text based email clients for a range of convenience reasons eg. keeping everything on the server, and access being *super* speedy being a purely textual interface.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_(e-mail_client)

Also, I suspect, many people get irritated by when html/css email is done poorly or abused (I've seen email sigs cut-pasted straight from MS Word filling several screenfuls of poorly coded rubbish)

On an accessibility front, does anyone know how email clients fare with dealing with CSS for the blind, or users with poor vision? many bits of bbc.co.uk provide an 'accessible' mode, though I'm not sure if this is done by applying an alternative stylesheet or something more complex:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/index.shtml?myway_sub
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/index.shtml?hiviz

In Opera browser (and in the built in mail client) you can turn off or override stylesheets; but I've not seen this feature in many other places.

Matt