On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 14:29, Scot McSweeney-Roberts
<bbc_backst...@mcsweeney-roberts.co.uk> wrote:

> Remember when you could buy a Mac clone with Apple's full permission?
> That you can run an alternative OS on a Mac with ease these days is
> more due to a grudging acceptance of market demands than a great step
> towards openness.

Yup. it nearly put them out of business. I'm not sure 'open to the
point of financial ruin' is a beneficial strategy for anybody
concerned.

> I'd say Apple are less open since SJ's return - the death of the
> clones, the death of the Newton (which was licensed to 3rd parties
> like Siemens), iTunes Fairplay DRM, the iPhone/Pad lock down and Apple
> TV only working with iTunes. What have they done that's open?

http://opensource.apple.com/
http://www.macosforge.org/
http://www.llvm.org/ (well, big chunks)
http://www.cups.org/

The Apple TV, I'll grant you, though it will actually work as a
standalone device if you really want. It's a bit of a dubious
argument, though.

Fairplay? How would the iTunes Store have possibly existed without it?
(and I don't mean in technical terms, where would they have got any
content from?)

iPhone OS lockdown, covered ad nauseum,

>> I wouldn't be so sure. I think Apple/Jobs realised that they actually
>> *can't* lock down Macs and still sell them. The vision of utility
>> get-stuff-done computing is incongruous with the expectations many
>> people have of what a computer should let them do. Thus, the solution
>> is to create a new category of computing product which pulls elements
>> from both. This way, the new platform can be as locked down or as open
>> as required with no legacy baggage, while the (rather profitable) more
>> open systems continue to sell to those who need that sort of thing.
>
> What I expect to see is more and more iPhone OS "computers" (like more
> or less permanently docked iPads with 15 or 17 inch screens) and fewer
> and fewer midrange Macs (and no low end Macs at all).

That makes no sense from a business perspective.

>> Plus, I don't actually think iPhone OS will remain as locked down as
>> it is now for too long. Give it 18 months. Two years tops.
>
> So you're expecting Steve Jobs to leave in 18 months to two years?
> That's the about the only way I could see that happening.

Right.

> But there are other products that are also well designed and have 100%
> functionality, they're just not as fashionable.  I think it has more
> to do with some people wanting to be followers of fashion (and a
> fashion item is something that Apple products have become since SJ's
> return) and then finding that fashionable straight jacket is too
> tight. It's just not rational behaviour.

"some people" doesn't account for the sales figures.

Show me a product which does everything my iPod touch does, weighs no
more, has an equally accurate touchscreen, a usable OS that my six
year old is capable of using (actually, my three year old does a
pretty good job of it), doesn't require manual faffing in order to get
media and apps (and actually HAS a good selection of well-written,
well-designed applications) onto it _and_ doesn't have the drawbacks
of iPhone OS. Oh, and costs the same or less.

M.