On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 16:00, Scot McSweeney-Roberts
<bbc_backst...@mcsweeney-roberts.co.uk> wrote:

>> Fairplay? How would the iTunes Store have possibly existed without it?
>> (and I don't mean in technical terms, where would they have got any
>> content from?)
>
> Fairplay wasn't the only DRM system in town at the time. If the music
> industry had any foresight at all, they would have required Apple to
> use DRM that was licensable by non-Apple manufactures and required
> iTunes to work with something besides iPods.

iTunes used to, and possibly still does, work with some third-party
devices. It also writes a copy of its library as an XML file which can
be trivially parsed more efficiently than iTunes itself does. There
are many applications out there (including some which sync to other
devices) which use this, and it works very well.

If the music industry had any foresight, they would have banned DRM.

Multi-vendor DRM is an enormous bag of fail. You might as well not
bother (which the record execs knew, incidentally).

M.