On 09/13 07:43 , Rob Owens wrote:
> Carl, I never give my filesystems much thought.  I've heard that
> reiserfs is good for lots of small files (and I guess hardlinks would
> qualify as small files?), but I've also heard that it's not as robust as
> ext3 in the case of unplanned shutdowns.  I have a lot of those, due to
> having 2 small kids in my house who love to push buttons.
>
> Could you give me your reasons for preferring reiserfs?

2 main reasons I like Reiserfs for the BackupPC data pool:

- it deals well with lots of small files. (at least in creating them).
- no inode limitations, so you can have millions of files in a partition
  without running out of space.

That said, I'm not married to it, and last I knew, Nate Carlson (hi Nate!)
was happily running XFS on his backuppc installation.

I'd avoid ext3 or its cousins, just because of the inode limitations.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator