Hello,

czw., 24 sty 2019 o 23:15 <mark.berg...@uphs.upenn.edu> napisał(a):

> In the message dated: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 19:47:49 +0100,
> The pithy ruminations from =?UTF-8?Q?Rados=C5=82aw_Korzeniewski?= on
> [[External] Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] IBAdmin] were:
> => Hello Dan,
> =>
> => czw., 24 sty 2019 o 14:28 Dan Langille <d...@langille.org> napisał(a):
> =>
> => > On Jan 24, 2019, at 5:30 AM, Radosław Korzeniewski <
> => > rados...@korzeniewski.net> wrote:
> => >
> => > Hello Dan,
> => >
> => > śr., 23 sty 2019 o 23:59 Dan Langille <d...@langille.org> napisał(a):
> => >
>
> =>
> => From technical point of view it is possible to redesign IBAdmin to
> => use multiple databases, but it requires some development which (in my
> => opinion) has no real value. If you think this kind of separation has any
> => real value other then "do separation - it is good" I'll be happy if you
> => will share it with me.
>
> I completely agree with Dan. I wouldn't even consider testing IBAdmin (or
> any other Bacula tool) that requires write access to the Bacula database.

OK, no problem. I do not force anyone to test it or to use it. It is your
free will.

But I do not understand why you complain about IBAdmin but do not complain
about any other Bacula GUI tools which require this kind of access too.

> Your tool -- and every other GUI front-end -- is a
> convenience, not a necessary part of the backup infrastructure, and your
> tool (and every other GUI front-end to Bacula) is much, much less mature
> and less trusted.

Yes it is true. We started IBAdmin in 2015 and it is a youngest kid in the
town.

> I would not give a front-end tool unrestricted access to the database
> for the same reason why every user on the system does not have root
> privileges.

So, you do not need a GUI then.

> Users who value the convenience of the install over the security of
> their data probably don't represent the typical bacula administrator.
> Their suggestions for the design of your product may not apply to
> the users you want to attract.

To learn Bacula you have to spend years of your life, so the learning curve
is extremely hard. Even if you use currently available GUI you have to
exactly know what to put in configuration forms as all these forms maps 1:1
to standard configuration files and resources.
With IBAdmin all you have to know is an overall architecture which you can
learn in a one hour. Then you can start using it like a pro. :) Sure this
means you can change your Bacula configuration in a way permitted by an
application and not all configuration tweaks are available. From our
experience it covers 90% of use cases.

So if you are a Bacula's geek who craft your configuration by hand and you
are a proud of it then IBAdmin is not suited for you. If you are a total
Bacula's newbie you should give it a try.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
rados...@korzeniewski.net