Hello guys,

Interesting conversation.  I thought I would throw in some general comments of my own.

- I really like seeing another GUI for Bacula, because it is something we really need.
- The BWeb GUI created by Bacula Systems, is very essential to corporate users.
- The Baculum GUI created by Bacula Community (Marcin Haba -- note he also works
   on the Enterprise BWeb) will be very essential to large   community users.
- I don't like the idea that a GUI read/write directly into the Bacula catalog.  If I am not mistaken
  both BWeb and Baculum do this, but we are developing API calls and trying to make sure all
  accesses go through the Bacula core code.  However, it will take more time to get those
  products switched over.
- GUI programs designed and coded by Bacula Systems and/or Bacula Community will remain
  compatible with the Bacula Catalog -- this is a given.  However non-Bacula GUI until we finish
  the APIs and those programs use them, 3-rd party GUIs are almost certain to have problems
  with Bacula catalog changes (the exception is IBAdmin, because Radek works directly with both
  Bacula Enterprise and Bacula Community so he knows what is changing before the release).
- Around April of 2019 (or whenever I finish the work) there will be a major Bacula Community
  Catalog change -- anyone who reads the catalog directly will very likely need to adapt their
  SQL.
- For Bacula itself (enterprise or community), I am not in favor of storing Bacula configuration files in the catalog,
  because   doing so makes it more difficult to change the configuration files, and requires the SD and FD and
  any tool to know how to access the database.  Even more importantly, in a disaster recovery situation,
  you may not be able to reconstruct the same catalog database, while restoring ASCII configuration
  files is relatively simple.

Best regards,
Kern

On 1/25/19 11:16 AM, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
Hello,

pt., 25 sty 2019 o 10:40 Josip Deanovic <djosip+n...@linuxpages.net> napisał(a):
On Friday 2019-01-25 08:56:18 Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
> > Having the pieces fall in the same database that holds
> > my super-important backup catalog is just... like I said: !@#$ck no.
>
> Sure its your opinion.

It's best practices, not an opinion.

Sorry no - swearing is not a best practice, it is an opinion.

Would you hire a sysadmin/sysarch who see things any different?
I wouldn't.
And I wouldn't give him administrative access because such guy
would be dangerous to your data and your business.

> I understand all your fears about object name collision and in my
> opinion the risk is extremely low. I am trying to understand all other
> complains, but with the sentence: "(...) like I said: !@#$ck no." is
> extremely hard.

The risk of object collision might be extremely low but the fact that
the a third-party tool needs write access to your backup database
is not something that can overlooked by someone who is responsible
for the data and system integrity.

Sysadmins are doing tons of actions and steps in system design in order
to prevent extremely unlikely cases.

E.g. creating a dedicated backup network with separated VLANs for every
logical group of servers and making sure that servers from different
logical units cannot reach each other.

Making sure that only servers that absolutely MUST have access specific
server and port can actually access it although it already requires auth.

Making sure that all communication is encrypted although it is extremely
unlikely that in a dedicated backup network some server from a different
logical group could ever get a chance to sniff packages.

Additionally, sometimes servers use additional kernel based mechanisms
to ensure privileges and prevent breaches.

Different intrusion detection system and advanced firewalls employing
complex analytic modules might be used to rise awareness in time.

Monitoring, graphing, regular checks of hardware and service health...

I do not understand why you complain about additional objects in Bacula database and rw access in IBAdmin when almost all others GUI for Bacula does the same for a very long time!
Its insane! If you complain that IBAdmin is doing this wrong you have to complain for other GUI too!

I hope that you can now better understand why would experienced sysadmin
or system architect say that it is inflexible

I disagree. The IBAdmin is extremely flexible (thanks to Django Web framework) in this area and adding support for database separation is relatively easy.

(to say the least) for a
third party software to use Backup system's database in order to write
its own data.

For sysadmins separation is not an option, it is a requirement for a
well design software. Otherwise it just doesn't fit

Almost all other Bacula GUI do that way and no one complain!

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
rados...@korzeniewski.net