On 3/20/04 1:39 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I think Baha'is *would* capitalize Frequented Fane, for it is
> reference to the Manifestation as the Temple of God.

I don't think so.

These are the opening to a surah concerning the 'time of the end'.
Muhammad begins by swearing a series of oaths that what He is about to
say is true, and is summarized in final cited lines, "Verily, a
chastisement from they Lord is imminent, And none shall put it back."

As most Muslim commentators have noted, there is a hierarchy involved,
from the most sacred to the mundane.

"The Mount" is a reference to a place of revelation, a place where the
Messenger of God is in direct contact with Him; e.g. Mount Sinai (whre
Moses received the Ten Commandments), Mount Paran (where Muhammad had
His first revelation) and Mount Seir (where Muslims believe Jesus went
in the wilderness after His baptism by John).

"the Book written On an outspread roll" is generally a reference to
Scripture and the Qu'ran, however what Rodwell translates as 'Book' is
noted by commentators to be a decree, a formal statement of law, i.e.
the law of God.  Further, it has been revealed to man, "inscribed",
and is available to all who wish to know, it is on an unfurled scroll.

"the frequented fane" refers to a place of devotions by the faithful.
The arch-type for this is the Ka'aba in Mecca.  'fane' can be any
temple or place of worship.  The fact that it is frequented means that
the believers are gathering there.  Thus there is an inimation of not
just a holy place, but of the sense of community that comes from
gathering in such a place.  The fact that the Bab used 'freqwuented
fane' as a metaphor for the earthly body of the Manifestation does not
mean that Muhammad did.

'the lofty vault' is what we in Montana might refer to as 'big sky'.
The vastness of creation that reduces the individual to insignificance
and evokes awe.

'the swollen sea' is the ocean at full tide, the resistless force and
regularity of the natural world.

'the divine chastisement' could also be interpreted as a reference to
the Manifestation, however I believe that by not capitalizing it, the
reference is to the pain and suffering that will attend the Advent,
not the Advent itself.

I believe these interpretations are in line with most commentators.

Don C

- - - - -
He who believes himself spiritual proves he is not.