On 3/21/04 6:15 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You forget that my original statement was that a *Baha'i* would
capitalize
> it, not a Muslim, not even Muhammad.

I'm not convinced.  I don't think that swearing by the Returning
Christ fits the context.  If the 'frequented fane' line were right
after "The Mount", you might have a point.  You would then have a
progression of: the place of Revelation, the Recipient of the
Revelation, and the Words of the Revelation.  These would then be
juxtaposed with the mundane of the last two oaths.

But as it is, it seems to be that Muhammad is swearing by what was and
is as a basis for talking about what will be.

As to the Bab's use of the term - I understand this to be word play,
not interpretation.

Don C

- - - - -
He who believes himself spiritual proves he is not.