In a message dated 12/11/2004 1:14:02 AM Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Susan:
> In answer to your question, Gilberto, yes, I think the meanings of any true
> scripture cannot be exhausted. But I don't think any scripture, including
> Baha'i scripture, is exhaustive. That's why we have progressive revelation.

Gilberto: So in which "directions" can the  meanings of the book be
exhausted, and in which can't it?

I do not meant to intrude, but I would like to interject a thought.

Any of the Scriptures is incapable of having its meaning exhausted, because it is the revelation of God and God's covenant and message is infinite and inexhaustible.

However, the message given by any of the human authors of the Scripture is exactly what God intends for Him to reveal. God may intend to reveal more at a different time and in a different message and it is up to the messenger to be submissive to the will of God in what He reveals.

Therefore, the revelation of God in its totality is indeed as inexhaustible as God Himself, but as Jesus said in the Gospels, "I have much to tell you, but you cannot bear it now." He left more of the particular message to be revealed in the future. Since there is no end to the Revelation of God and the cycle of His messengers, therefore the message of God is inexhaustible.

As it is, each of the individual scriptures contains far more than man can decipher from that Revelation alone. In order to understand that the meaning of a particular scripture can not be exhausted one must consider that the message is not truly complete in any of the individual scriptures and NEW meaning will be found in light of further revelation.

Regards,

Scott