On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:22:47 -0600, Susan Maneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Please look at all the links I included in the e-mail you are
> responding to. If you are having problems opening those links I could
> do a cut-and-paste job for you (or anyone) and mail them to the list."

> Dear Gilberto,
> Ah yes, there is one woman in a non-Muslim country that is able to function
> as a mufti and another woman in Egypt who is trying to.

No. You don't have to sound so snide about it, especially if you are mistaken..
 The article on the situation in India talks about *several* women
acting as muftis there, not just one. And if you read the other links,
especially the very first one it specifically addresses your
"questions". Yes, Aishah was considered a scholar, and actually issued
rulings on several issues, and overruled the opinions of men she
wasn't just a reciter of hadith. And throughout the centuries, in
differnet times and places in Muslim history, women have been muftis
(not just hadith scholars). Many of the great male scholars had female
teachers.  There is no religious question of whether or not women can
be muftis. And according to the oldest sunni school of Islamic law,
women can be judges.

Why aren't there more female judges or scholars? It has more to do
with cultural stuff that Muslim countries need to work out but it
isn't a religious question.