> Gilberto dear friend

Dear Khazeh

... There are many nice things said about the
Quran, and Muhammad and the imams etc. in the Bahai writings. But they
also say all kinds of nice things about all sorts of things. But its
like "killing someone with kindness".

In the passage below it seems like certain things are being said but
I'M NOT CERTAIN HOW SERIOUSLY THEY ARE BELIEVED. (OR maybe its just a
translation problem). I emphasize some phrases by writing them in all
caps. Perhaps you can help explain to me what is being suggested by
those phrases and what they mean to you.

>     Wherefore, O my friend, it behooveth Us to exert the highest endeavour
> to attain unto that City, and, by the grace of God and His
loving-kindness,
> rend asunder the "veils of glory"; so that, with inflexible steadfastness,
> we may sacrifice our drooping souls in the path of the New Beloved.  We
> should with tearful eyes, fervently and repeatedly, implore Him to grant
us
> the favour of that grace.  That city is none other than the Word of God
> revealed in every age and dispensation. In the days of Moses it was the
> Pentateuch; in the days of Jesus the Gospel; in the days of Muhammad the
> Messenger of God the Qur'an; in this day the Bayan; and in the
dispensation
> of Him Whom God will make manifest His own Book - the Book unto which all
> the Books of former Dispensations must needs be referred, the Book which
> standeth amongst them all transcendent and supreme.  In these cities
> spiritual sustenance is bountifully provided, and INCORRUPTIBLE DELIGHTS
> have been ordained.  The food they bestow is the bread of heaven, and the
> Spirit they impart is GOD'S IMPERISHABLE BLESSING.  Upon detached souls
they
> bestow the gift of Unity, enrich the destitute, and offer the cup of
> knowledge unto them who wander in the wilderness of ignorance.  All the
> guidance, the blessings, the learning, the understanding, the faith, and
> certitude, conferred upon all that is in heaven and on earth, are hidden
and
> treasured within these Cities.
>     For instance, the Qur'an was an IMPREGNABLE STRONGHOLD unto the people
> of Muhammad.  In His days, whosoever entered therein, was shielded from
the
> devilish assaults, the menacing darts, the soul-devouring doubts, and
> blasphemous whisperings of the enemy.  Upon him was also bestowed a
portion
> of the everlasting and goodly fruits - the fruits of wisdom, from the
divine
> Tree.  To him was given to drink THE INCORRUPTIBLE WATERS of the river of
> knowledge, and to taste the wine of the mysteries of divine Unity.
>     All the things that people required in connection with the Revelation
> of Muhammad and His laws were to be found revealed and manifest in that
> Ridvan of resplendent glory.  That Book constitutes an ABIDING TESTIMONY
> its people after Muhammad, inasmuch as its decrees are indisputable, and
its
> promise unfailing.
[end quote]

So all those highlighted words give the impression of the Quran as
being a text with ongoing effects. Aspects of the book are
incorruptible, imperishable, impregnable and abiding. But then on
further reflection the writings are saying that it is only till the
year 60, no?

> All have been enjoined to follow the precepts of that
> Book until "the year sixty"(1260 AH) - the year of the advent of God's
> wondrous Manifestation.  That Book is the Book which unfailingly leadeth
the
> seeker unto the Ridvan of the divine Presence, and causeth him that hath
> forsaken his country and is treading the seeker's path to enter the
> Tabernacle of everlasting reunion.  Its guidance can never err, its
> testimony no other testimony can excel.  All other traditions, all other
> books and records, are bereft of such distinction, inasmuch as both the
> traditions and they that have spoken them are confirmed and proven solely
by
> the text of that Book.  Moreover, the traditions themselves grievously
> differ, and their obscurities are manifold.

The differences and obscurities of hadith are being extremely
exagerated.

Dear Gilberto
My dear brother in the path [sabeel] path of search after the truth.
Firstly

Let me say how I am touched sincerely by the way you write and by the way
you pose your arguments. By reading the above passage in the Iqan and
highlighting some passages you made me very happy because so many do not
read deeply each other's postings dear Gilberto!

But secondly and much more importantly please remember I do not write on
this list for argument's sake. It is a Studies List so I can only [humbly
and tentatively] indicate some areas of Studies. I cannot win an argument.
Argumentation and disputation and seeking superiority in argument is
strongly condemned in the Holy Writings in the Qur'an, the Bab's Writings,
and the Writings of Baha'u'llah.

**Verily I say unto thee:  Of all men the most negligent is he that
DISPUTETH IDLY and seeketh to advance himself over his brother.  Say, O
brethren!  Let deeds, not words, be your adorning.
        (Baha'u'llah:  Persian Hidden Words, Page: 5)**

So God forbid I should nor dispute idly and since you and Brent and... and
Susan and Mark ...are my honoured brothers [and sister] God forbid I should
seek to advance over my brother.

That beloved Body, the Universal House of Justice, appointed by Baha'u'llah,
also writes for our guidance.
****Tragically, organized religion, whose very reason for being entails
service to the cause of brotherhood and peace, behaves all too frequently as
one of the most formidable obstacles in the path.... Europe's sixteenth
century wars of religion cost that continent the lives of some thirty
percent of its entire population. One must wonder what has been the longer
term harvest of the seeds planted in popular consciousness by the blind
forces of sectarian dogmatism that inspired such conflicts.

To this accounting must be added A BETRAYAL OF THE LIFE OF THE MIND WHICH,
MORE THAN ANY OTHER FACTOR, has robbed religion of the capacity it
inherently possesses to play a decisive role in the shaping of world
affairs. Locked into preoccupation with agendas that disperse and vitiate
human energies, religious institutions have too often been the chief agents
in discouraging exploration of reality and the exercise of those
intellectual faculties that distinguish humankind.... The implications for
today are summed up by Bahá'u'lláh in words written over a century ago and
widely disseminated in the intervening decades:
There can be no doubt whatever that the peoples of the world, of whatever
race or religion, derive their inspiration from one heavenly Source, and are
the subjects of one God. The difference between the ordinances under which
they abide should be attributed to the varying requirements and exigencies
of the age in which they were revealed. All of them, except a few which are
the outcome of human perversity, were ordained of God, and are a reflection
of His Will and Purpose. Arise and, armed with the power of faith, shatter
to pieces the gods of your vain imaginings, the sowers of dissension amongst
you. Cleave unto that which draweth you together and uniteth you.

Such an appeal does not call for abandonment of faith in the fundamental
verities of any of the world's great belief systems. Far otherwise. Faith
has its own imperative and is its own justification. What others believe —
or do not believe — cannot be the authority in any individual conscience
worthy of the name. What the above words do unequivocally urge is
renunciation of all those claims to exclusivity or finality that, in winding
their roots around the life of the spirit, have been the greatest single
factor in suffocating impulses to unity and in promoting hatred and
violence.
http://bahai-library.com/published.uhj/religious.leaders.html

so my second point is that in the light of the above we should write to help
each other not to dispute idly. In fact after the above I do not know what
to say

except that in relation to YOUR QUESTION above which you [dear Gilberto
posed]
" I'M NOT CERTAIN HOW SERIOUSLY THEY ARE BELIEVED. (OR maybe its just a
translation problem). I emphasize some phrases by writing them in all
caps."

Those highlighted passages are truly and sincerely believed in.

The guidance is abiding. The Word of God is abiding. The Holy Spirit behind
the divine utterances is abiding. The love of God perisheth not. But the
application of the Laws and Institutions [some Laws, because Chastity purity
morality justice and so many others are re-emphasized] the application of
some is time dependent.....
Holy Qur'an
002.106
YUSUFALI: None of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten,
but WE SUBSTITUTE SOMETHING BETTER or similar: Knowest thou not that God
Hath power over all things?
PICKTHAL: Nothing of our revelation (even a single verse) do we abrogate or
cause be forgotten, BUT WE BRING (IN PLACE) ONE BETTER OR THE LIKE THEREOF.
Knowest thou not that God is Able to do all things?
SHAKIR: Whatever communications We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, We
bring one better than it or like it. Do you not know that God has power over
all things?

AGAIN
013.038
YUSUFALI: We did send messengers before thee, and appointed for them wives
and children: and it was never the part of a messenger to bring a sign [AYAT
literally a verse] except as God permitted (or commanded). FOR EACH PERIOD
IS A BOOK (REVEALED).
PICKTHAL: And verily We sent messengers (to mankind) before thee, and We
appointed for them wives and offspring, and it was not (given) to any
messenger that he should bring a portent [AYAT] save by God's leave. FOR
EVERYTHING THERE IS A TIME PRESCRIBED.
SHAKIR: And certainly We sent messengers before you and gave them wives and
children, and it is not in (the power of) an messenger to bring a sign
except by God's permission; FOR EVERY TERM THERE IS AN APPOINTMENT.

Different renderings of the divine Utterance ***li-kulli ajalin Kitaab***

And although this takes time and patience to expound ... the AJAL [=term,
appointment, period] was also revealed in the Qur'an to be ALFA SANATIN [a
thousand lunar years] ...hence the year 1260 AH [alfa sanatin a thousand
years after the ascension (passing) of Imam H.asan 'Askari in 260 AH.

*****
022.047
YUSUFALI: Yet they ask thee to hasten on the Punishment! But God WILL NOT
FAIL IN HIS PROMISE. Verily a Day in the sight of thy Lord is LIKE A
THOUSAND YEARS OF YOUR RECKONING.
PICKTHAL: And they will bid thee hasten on the Doom, and GOD FAILETH NOT HIS
PROMISE, but lo! a Day with God is as a thousand years of what ye reckon.
SHAKIR: And they ask you to hasten on the punishment, and GOD WILL BY NO
MEANS FAIL IN HIS PROMISE, and surely a day with your Lord is as a thousand
years of what you number.****

032.005
PICKTHAL: HE DIRECTETH THE ORDINANCE [al-Amr] from the heaven unto the
earth; then it ascendeth unto Him in a Day, whereof the measure is a
thousand years of that ye reckon.
SHAKIR: HE REGULATES THE AFFAIR [al-Amr]from the heaven to the earth; then
shall it ascend to Him in a day the measure of which is a thousand years of
what you count.

The Holy Qur'an is so clear so beautiful so potent in its clarity.
But we should try hard...as the disciples of the Bab and Baha'u'llah
did...with utter purity and chastity of heart...]as indeed you and Brent and
Susan and ...hopefully all of us either do or should aim to achieve]

H Qur'an puts it strongly:
:
007.179
YUSUFALI: They have HEARTS WHEREWITH THEY UNDERSTAND NOT, EYES WHEREWITH
THEY SEE NOT, AND EARS WHEREWITH THEY HEAR NOT. They are like cattle,- nay
more misguided: for they are heedless (of warning).
PICKTHAL: HAVING HEARTS WHEREWITH THEY UNDERSTAND NOT, AND HAVING EYES
WHEREWITH THEY SEE NOT, AND HAVING EARS WHEREWITH THEY HEAR NOT. These are
as the cattle - nay, but they are worse! These are the neglectful.
SHAKIR: they have hearts with which they do not understand, and they have
eyes with which they do not see, and they have ears with which they do not
hear; they are as cattle, nay, they are in worse errors; these are the
heedless ones.

So Yes we take the Iqan Passages very seriously. The ones you highlighted
and every other utterance....Also recall how praised the Israelites were in
the Qur'an in their time...

*** 002.047
YUSUFALI: Children of Israel! call to mind the (special) favour which I
bestowed upon you, AND THAT I PREFERRED YOU TO ALL OTHER.
PICKTHAL: O Children of Israel! Remember My favour wherewith I FAVOURED YOU
AND HOW I PREFERRED YOU TO (ALL) CREATURES.
SHAKIR: O children of Israel! call to mind My favour which I bestowed on you
and THAT I MADE YOU EXCEL THE NATIONS.

So in the light of this verse they were favoured they excelled...but
rejection leads to other consequences and this applies to all

008.053
YUSUFALI: "Because God will never change the grace which He hath bestowed on
a PEOPLE UNTIL THEY CHANGE WHAT IS IN THEIR (OWN) SOULS: and verily God is
He Who heareth and knoweth (all things)."
PICKTHAL: That is because God never changeth the grace He hath bestowed on
any PEOPLE UNTIL THEY FIRST CHANGE THAT WHICH IS IN THEIR HEARTS, and (that
is) because God is Hearer, Knower.
SHAKIR: This is because God has never changed a favour which He has
conferred upon a PEOPLE UNTIL THEY CHANGE THEIR OWN CONDITION; and because
God is Hearing, Knowing;

So dear Gilberto this humble email is getting long. It is written with
affection and love.
Please read it with affection and love and follow the references in the
Qur'an, the Iqan, the Message of the Universal House of Justice, and so many
priceless pearls and precious gems...[the H.uris !] of inner meaning

Who, contemplating the helplessness, the fears and miseries of humanity in
this day, can any longer question the necessity for a fresh revelation of
the quickening power of God's redemptive love and guidance?  Who, witnessing
on one hand the stupendous advance achieved in the realm of human knowledge,
of power, of skill and inventiveness, and viewing on the other the
unprecedented character of the sufferings that afflict, and the dangers that
beset, present-day society, can be so blind as to doubt that the hour has at
last struck for the advent of a new Revelation, for a re-statement of the
Divine Purpose, and for the consequent revival of those spiritual forces
that have, at fixed intervals, rehabilitated the fortunes of human society?
DOES NOT THE VERY OPERATION OF THE WORLD-UNIFYING FORCES THAT ARE AT WORK IN
THIS AGE NECESSITATE THAT HE WHO IS THE BEARER OF THE MESSAGE OF GOD IN THIS
DAY SHOULD NOT ONLY REAFFIRM THAT SELF-SAME EXALTED STANDARD OF INDIVIDUAL
CONDUCT INCULCATED BY THE PROPHETS GONE BEFORE HIM, BUT embody in His
appeal, to all governments and peoples, the essentials of that social code,
that Divine Economy, which must guide humanity's concerted efforts in
establishing that all-embracing federation which is to signalize the advent
of the Kingdom of God on this earth?
        (Shoghi Effendi:  World Order of Baha'u'llah, Pages: 60-61)

Humble as dust in the path of His servants, in the sunset of my
life...khazeh