On 10/27/05, Susan Maneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm suggesting that your basic thesis is wrong.

> What do you think my thesis is?"

> Dear Gilberto,
>
> That ethical principles and values have been constant over time.

ok.

> "If you aren't even sure if the
> Israelites received those commands (which are clearly contained in
> Deuteronomy) why argue tooth-and-nail that those commandments are
> justified?"

> I didn't argue that point 'tooth and nail.'

Not just you but other people in here as well.

> I *am* arguing that we can't
> disallow the possibility those commands *did* come from God because
> according to present day standards we find them distasteful.

I don't believe wholesale, indiscriminate, total genocide of an entire
ethnic group is a just matter of taste.

> "I specifically explained
> what I meant by genocide and what I am refering to as "genocide" for
> the purposes of this particular discussion is different from what was
> done to Banu Qurayzah."

> Yes, I understand that you are defining genocide in a way that would include
> what the OT represents God as commanding and exclude what Muhammad did. I
> find that too convenient.

Convenience of the definition isn't really the issue. Whether you call
it "genocide" or whether you call it "picking flowers" it is still
clear that a certain policy of killing certain nations is found in the
Jewish Torah, but that the same behavior is clearly prohibited by
Islamic rules and conditions for warfare.

> "Secondly, You are totally ignoring the explanation given by Karen
> Armstrong."
>
> No, I'm not. I understand all the possible explanations just as I can
> understand the possible explanations for eliminating the Canaanites.

Then you should just give them.

>  "There are specific reasons for why the particular actions
> taken against Banu Qurayzah saved lives."
>
> The same could be said for the Canaanites who practiced baby sacrifices.

That explanation doesn't hold water if the Israelite army was killing
Canaanite babies themselves.

> "Thirdly, please don't ever ever say that you love and respect Islam
> and Muhammad if you are going to equate Muhammad with Milosevic."

> I don't.

You accused both of genocide.

-Gilberto

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.