The Baha'i Studies Listserv
On 22 Dec 2010 at 12:47, Naison Jones wrote:

> If you really think that the Behaviour of Bahais is comparable to say
> the incidence of Christian ministers who have been convicted of child
> abuse for example as a percentage ...

I am afraid such cases do occur - as an LSA member I dealt with one.
It's not for nothing that many National Assemblies have established
protocols and checks for those who work with children. I doubt the
percentages differ much, and your argument is in any case distasteful
- you are effectively asking each Muslim to answer for the sins of
any Muslim, each Christian to answer for the sins of any Christian.
Those who did what they did, are responsible for what they did, and
nobody else.

I was prompted to respond by the coincidence, that this afternoon I
was translating a citation from Hafez, :

"Although our hidden dishonour´s revealed
(and woe! We are shamed, and thrown in confusion),
We´re proud to be pious and rejoice in Islam:
The Magi take issue because we are Muslims."

Which raises the nice issue of whether it is ironically intended. Is
Hafez standing back, and ironically presenting his fellow-Muslims as
making the weak excuse, that the Zoroastrian priests point out
Muslims' faults only because they are envious of the rise of Islam?
Or is he saying, with all our faults, we are still happy to be
Muslim?

If my Persian script is scrambled in transmission, the lines are
available here:
http://mt-st.mihanblog.com/page/2