dari http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t025700.asp

*"I am having surgery in a few weeks and am breastfeeding my 7-month-old.
She still nurses quite frequently and I am worried because my doctor says I
can't breastfeed her for 24 hours after surgery because of the anesthesia
medications. What can I do to make this easier?"*

You actually CAN breastfeed within 2 to 4 hours after surgery. The reason
most doctors say to wait 24 hours is that they were trained before anyone
every studied anesthetics in breast milk. Well, this has now been researched
and shown that the levels of anesthetic medication used in general
anesthesia do not significantly persist in the breast milk beyond a couple
hours. The little that does remain for the rest of the day is so minute,
that it will have no noticeable effect on the baby.

My wife went through gallbladder surgery when our second son was a year old
and still an avid nurser. Here is what she did. She pumped her breasts 4
hours after surgery and we threw this away. She then breastfed him on demand
after that. Why "pump and dump" at four hours? There is really no good
reason. We just did it to be extra safe. In reality, any medicine that gets
into the milk during this time will move back out of the milk by four hours.
But to make your doctor and the nurses happy, I suggest doing the 4-hour
pump and dump.

Any pain medications you receive after surgery are also safe during
breastfeeding.

For younger infants who will need to feed during or right after surgery,
pump some milk beforehand to be fed through a bottle.