MBak,

Ponakan saya (seminggu lagi 2 tahun), persis kayak Rayyan. Belum bisa
ngomong, baru mama papa.
Coba perhatikan saja apakah Rayyan bereaksi terhadap perintah2 sederhana,
misal, membuang sampah, kemudian memilih apakah bis2an atau mobil2an. Kalau
tidak ada hambatan berkomunikasi, artinya diajak bicara nyambung dan
memahami perintah, tetapi belum bisa bicara, rasanya masih wajar.

Ada artikel tentang telat bicara di bawah ini:
http://wrm-indonesia.org/content/view/405/58/ gak bisa saya copy paste
penggunaan 2 bahasa memang kadang membuat speech delay (terlambat bicara)

kalau di kidshelath, cukup lengkap, artikelnya kayak gini:

Your son is 2 years old and still isn't talking. He says a few words, but
compared with his peers you think he's way behind. You remember that his
sister could put whole sentences together at the same age. Hoping he will
catch up, you postpone seeking professional advice. Some kids are early
walkers and some are early talkers, you tell yourself. Nothing to worry
about...

This scenario is common among parents of kids who are slow to speak. Unless
they observe other areas of "slowness" during early development, parents may
hesitate to seek advice. Some may excuse the lack of talking by reassuring
themselves that "he'll outgrow it" or "she's just more interested in
physical things."

Knowing what's "normal" and what's not in speech and language development
can help you figure out if you should be concerned or if your child is right
on schedule.
Understanding Normal Speech and Language Development

It's important to discuss early speech and language development, as well as
other developmental concerns, with your doctor at every routine well-child
visit. It can be difficult to tell whether a child is just immature in his
or her ability to communicate or has a problem that requires professional
attention. These developmental norms may provide clues:
Before 12 Months

It's important for kids this age to be watched for signs that they're using
their voices to relate to their environment. Cooing and babbling are early
stages of speech development. As babies get older (often around 9 months),
they begin to string sounds together, incorporate the different tones of
speech, and say words like "mama" and "dada" (without really understanding
what those words mean). Before 12 months, children should also be attentive
to sound. Babies who watch intently but don't react to sound may be showing
signs of hearing loss <http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/eyes/hear.html>.
By 12 to 15 Months

Kids this age should have a wide range of speech sounds in their babbling
and at least one or more true words (not including "mama" and "dada"). Nouns
usually come first, like "baby" and "ball." Your child should also be able
to understand and follow single directions ("Please give me the toy," for
example).
>From 18 to 24 Months

Kids should have a vocabulary of about 20 words by 18 months and 50 or more
partial words by the time they turn 2. By age 2, kids should be learning to
combine two words, such as "baby crying" or "Daddy big." A 2-year-old should
also be able to follow two-step commands (such as "Please pick up the toy
and bring me your cup").
>From 2 to 3 Years

Parents often witness an "explosion" in their child's speech. Your child's
vocabulary should increase (to too many words to count) and he or she should
routinely combine three or more words into sentences. Comprehension should
also increase — by 3 years of age, a child should begin to understand what
it means to "put it on the table" or "put it under the bed." Your child
should also begin to identify colors and comprehend descriptive concepts
(big versus little, for example).
The Difference Between Speech and Language

Speech and language are often confused, but there is a distinction between
the two:

   - Speech is the verbal expression of language and includes articulation,
   which is the way words are formed.
   - Language is much broader and refers to the entire system of expressing
   and receiving information in a way that's meaningful. It's understanding and
   being understood through communication — verbal, nonverbal, and written.

Although problems in speech and language differ, they frequently overlap. A
child with a language problem may be able to pronounce words well but be
unable to put more than two words together. Another child's speech may be
difficult to understand, but he or she may use words and phrases to express
ideas. And another child may speak well but have difficulty following
directions.
Warning Signs of a Possible Problem

If you're concerned about your child's speech and language development,
there are some things to watch for.

An infant who isn't responding to sound or who isn't vocalizing is of
particular concern. Between 12 and 24 months, reasons for concern include a
child who:

   - isn't using gestures, such as pointing or waving bye-bye by 12 months
   - prefers gestures over vocalizations to communicate by 18 months
   - has trouble imitating sounds by 18 months

Seek an evaluation if a child over 2 years old:

   - can only imitate speech or actions and doesn't produce words or phrases
   spontaneously
   - says only certain sounds or words repeatedly and can't use oral
   language to communicate more than his or her immediate needs
   - can't follow simple directions
   - has an unusual tone of voice (such as raspy or nasal sounding)
   - is more difficult to understand than expected for his or her age.
   Parents and regular caregivers should understand about half of a child's
   speech at 2 years and about three quarters at 3 years. By 4 years old, a
   child should be mostly understood, even by people who don't know the child.

Causes of Delayed Speech or Language

Many things can cause delays in speech and language development. Speech
delays in an otherwise normally developing child are rarely caused by oral
impairments, such as problems with the tongue or palate (the roof of the
mouth). Being "tongue-tied" (when the frenulum — the fold beneath the tongue
— is too tight) is almost never a cause of delayed speech.

Many kids with speech delays have oral-motor problems, meaning there's
inefficient communication in the areas of the brain responsible for speech
production. The child encounters difficulty using the lips, tongue, and jaw
to produce speech sounds. Speech may be the only problem or may be
accompanied by other oral-motor problems such as feeding difficulties. A
speech delay may also indicate a more "global" (or general) developmental
delay.

Hearing problems are also commonly related to delayed speech, which is why a
child's hearing should be tested by an audiologist whenever there's a speech
concern. A child who has trouble hearing may have trouble understanding,
imitating, and using language.

Ear infections<http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/ear/otitis_media.html>,
especially chronic infections, can affect hearing ability. Simple ear
infections that have been adequately treated, though, should have no effect
on speech.
What Speech-Language Pathologists Do

If you or your doctor suspect that your child has a problem, early
evaluation by a speech-language
pathologist<http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/ill/speech_therapy.html>is
crucial. Of course, if there turns out to be no problem after all, an
evaluation can ease your fears.

Although you can seek out a speech-language pathologist on your own, your
primary care doctor can refer you to one.

In conducting an evaluation, a speech-language pathologist will look at a
child's speech and language skills within the context of total development.
Besides observing your child, the speech-language pathologist will conduct
standardized tests and scales, and look for milestones in speech and
language development.

The speech-language pathologist will also assess:

   - what your child understands (called receptive language)
   - what your child can say (called expressive language)
   - if your child is attempting to communicate in other ways, such as
   pointing, head shaking, gesturing, etc.
   - your child's oral-motor status (how a child's mouth, tongue, palate,
   etc., work together for speech as well as eating and swallowing)

If the speech-language pathologist finds that your child needs speech
therapy, your involvement will be very important. You can observe therapy
sessions and learn to participate in the process. The speech therapist will
show you how you can work with your child at home to improve speech and
language skills.

Evaluation by a speech-language pathologist may find that your expectations
are simply too high. Educational materials that outline developmental stages
and milestones may help you look at your child more realistically.
What Parents Can Do

Like so many other things, speech development is a mixture of nature and
nurture. Genetic makeup will, in part, determine intelligence and speech and
language development. However, a lot of it depends on environment. Is a
child adequately stimulated at home or at child care? Are there
opportunities for communication exchange and participation? What kind of
feedback does the child get?

When speech, language, hearing, or developmental problems do exist, early
intervention can provide the help a child needs. And when you have a better
understanding of why your child isn't talking, you can learn ways to
encourage speech development.

Here are a few general tips you can employ at home:

   - *Spend a lot of time communicating with your child*, even during
   infancy — talk, sing, and encourage imitation of sounds and gestures.
   - *Read to your child*, starting as early as 6 months. You don't have to
   finish a whole book, but look for age-appropriate soft or board books or
   picture books that encourage kids to look while you name the pictures. Try
   starting with a classic book such as *Pat the Bunny*, in which the child
   imitates the patting motion, or books with textures that kids can touch.
   Later, let your child point to recognizable pictures and try to name them.
   Then move on to nursery rhymes, which have rhythmic appeal. Progress to
   predictable books, such as Eric Carle's *Brown Bear, Brown Bear,* in
   which your child can anticipate what happens. Your little one may even start
   to memorize favorite stories.
   - *Use everyday situations* to reinforce your child's speech and
   language. In other words, talk your way through the day. For example, name
   foods at the grocery store, explain what you're doing as you cook a meal or
   clean a room, point out objects around the house, and as you drive, point
   out sounds you hear. Ask questions and acknowledge your child's responses
   (even when they're hard to understand). Keep things simple, but never use
   "baby talk."

Whatever your child's age, recognizing and treating problems early on is the
best approach to help with speech and language delays. With proper therapy
and time, your child will likely be better able to communicate with you and
the rest of the world.

Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD, and Anne M. Meduri,
MD<http://kidshealth.org/parent/misc/reviewers.html>
Date reviewed: March 2005

On 8/6/08, Amien, Erlyn R (E.) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Moms & Dads.....
> Mw tanya, lagi bingung campur khawatir, pasalnya anakku Rayyan 1thn 7bln
> blm bisa ngomong...blm ada kata2 yg jelas dia ucapin...normal ga ya?
> Terlalu dini kah klo aku bawa ke klinik tumbuh kembang untuk terapi
> wicara?
> Cuma sedikit banget yg dia ucapin...Adda untuk Bunda....Athya untuk
> ayah...Addi untuk mobil....Maam untuk makan selebihnya ya seputaran Ada
> Adi Athe...sama Uuuuh Uuuh...sambil nunjuk2 yg dia maksud...Klo kita
> ajak ngobrol sih udah nyambung & ngerti banget.....sementara anak2
> seumuran dia udah banyak kata2 yg diucapin walaupun satu satu suku
> kata.....tapi udah jelas....
>
> Padahal Baby Sitter nya cukup creative ngajarinnya...& bukan tipe yg
> pendiam...selalu komunikasi sama Rayyan....Hallo Mba Rina...inget aku
> ga'? Yg ambil BS (Sari) dari Mba Rina....masih awet nih mpe sekarang.
> Makasih banyak...gmn kabarnya Mikail?
> Tapi klo lagi di rumah mertua, mostly Rayyan suka aku titipin di mertua,
> BS ku suka ngomong Jawa ma pembantu mertua ku...ngaruh ga ya...takutnya
> dia bingung....
> Aku udah sering tegur sih....nti Rayyan ngomongya bletak bletok...(Jawa
> Tegal gitu deh eh maap ya klo ada yg dari Tegal ga ada maksud loh....)
> :D
>
> Mohon sharing nya donk apakah memang normal?
>
> Tks,
> Erlyn
> Bundanya Rayyan (1thn7bln)
> http://[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> YM : e2osalyn

> Info tanaman hias: http://www.toekangkeboen.com
> Info balita: http://www.balita-anda.com
> Peraturan milis, email ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> menghubungi admin, email ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kirim email ke