Sri Wardhani Kusumawati wrote:

> Mumpung masalah imunisasi ini sedang hangat dibicarakan......
> Rabu, 14 Juni 2000
> (dari satumed.com)
>                  Salah satu vaksin yang paling ditakutkan oleh
> masyarakat adalah kombinasi vaksin measles, mumps and Rubella (MMR) atau
> vaksin kombinasi untuk penyakit campak, gondongan dan campak jerman.

dihapus..

>                  Salah satu kekhawatiran orang tua adalah bahwa vaksin
> ini berhubungan dengan timbulnya autisme tetapi beberapa penelitian telah
> menunjukkan tidak adanya hubungan antara vaksinasi dan autisme.

Rekan-rekan,
terus terang, sampai sekarang saya agak ragu dengan vaksin MMR. Ella mestinya
sudah divaksin tgl 15 ini, tapi karena kebetulan baru pulih dari flu-batuk
nya, saya putuskan utk. menunda seminggu lagi. Saya belum pernah ketemu ada
pernyataan di Indonesia bahwa MMR bebas dari risiko autism. Ada rekan2 yg.
tahu dimana harus cari info ?
Aduuh... bayangkan gimana kalo anakku yg. lucu itu jadi autistik ?
Penjelasan dari CDC yg. saya paste di bawah ini sih sangat...meyakinkan. Tapi
itu kan dari pemerintahnya. Sejauh mana pemerintah (Amerika) bisa jujur utk.
suatu produk yg. (seandainya benar) berside-effect jelek, tapi sudah keburu
disetujui...? Sementara banyak badan2 / peneliti swasta (di LN) yg. menyatakan
ada hubungan MMR dgn. autisme...
Gimana dong, ya...?

Rien.
---------------------

MMR Vaccine and Autism

1. Does the MMR vaccine cause autism?

CDC believes that the current scientific
evidence does not support the hypothesis that
MMR, or any combination of vaccines, cause
the development of autism, including
regressive forms of autism. A suspected link
between MMR vaccine and autism has been
suggested by researchers and some parents of
children with autism. Often symptoms of
autism are first noted by parents as their
child begins to have difficulty with delays
in speaking after age one. MMR vaccine is
first given to children at 12 to 15 months of
age. Therefore, children an apparent onset of
autism within a few weeks after MMR
vaccination may simply be an unrelated chance
occurrence.

An extensive study of the evidence was
recently conducted in the United Kingdom. The
British Committee on Safety of Medicines
convened a "Working Party on MMR Vaccine" to
conduct a systematic review of reports of
autism, gastrointestinal disease, and similar
disorders after receipt of MMR or
measles/rubella vaccine. The National
Childhood Encephalopathy Study (NCES) was
examined to see if there was any link between
measles vaccine and neurological events. The
researchers in England found no indication
that measles vaccine contributes to the
development of long-term neurological damage,
including educational and behavioral deficits
(Miller et al 1997). A more recent
epidemiological study also found no
association between MMR vaccine and autism
(Taylor et al. 1999). This study compared
rates of autism between children who received
the MMR vaccine and children who did not. The
results found no difference in rates of
autism between the two groups.

                              2. What about the study by Dr. Andrew
                              Wakefield, of the Royal Free Hospital in the
                              United Kingdom?

                              Current scientific evidence does not support
                              the hypothesis that the MMR vaccine, or any
                              combination of vaccines, causes the
                              development of autism, including regressive
                              forms of autism. This includes the research
                              conducted by Dr. Wakefield.

                              The Wakefield Study

                              This study was conducted in 1998 and looked
                              at whether the existence of the measles virus
                              from the MMR vaccine could cause bowel
                              disease and, in turn, cause autism. The
                              authors reviewed reports of 12 children with
                              bowel disease and regressive developmental
                              disorders, mostly autism. In 9 of the cases,
                              the child's parents or pediatrician
                              speculated that the MMR vaccine had
                              contributed to the behavioral problems of the
                              children in the study.

                              This study was reviewed by an expert
                              committee from the UK Medical Research
                              Council (MRC). The Council concluded there is
                              no evidence to link the MMR vaccine with
                              autism. On April 3, 2000 the MRC issued a new
                              report confirming its earlier conclusion; MMR
                              has not been linked with inflammatory bowel
                              disease in autism. A copy of this research
                              report can be found in the appendix and is
                              also available at the MRC web site,
                              http://www.mrc.ac.uk

                              Limitations of Dr. Wakefield's Study

                              1. The study used too few cases to make any
                              generalizations about the causes of autism;
                              only 12 children were included in the study.
                              Further, the cases were selected by
                              researchers and may not be representative of
                              many cases of autism.

                              2. There were inadequate groups of control
                              children. As a result, it is difficult to
                              determine whether the bowel changes were
                              similar to changes in normal children, or to
                              determine if the rate of vaccination in
                              autistic children was higher than in the
                              general population.

                              3. The study did not identify the time period
                              during which the cases were identified.

                              4. In at least 4 of the 12 cases behavioral
                              problems appeared before the onset of
                              symptoms of bowel disease; that is, the
                              effect preceded the proposed cause. It is
                              unlikely, therefore, that bowel disease or
                              the MMR vaccine triggered the autism.

                              3. Would it be safer to separate the MMR
                              vaccine into its individual components--in
                              other words, give children three separate
                              shots, at different times (e.g., six months
                              or one year apart), instead of one combined
                              shot? Why do we have to use the combined
                              vaccine?

                              There is no scientific research or data to
                              indicate that there is any benefit to
                              separating the MMR vaccine into its
                              individual components. This idea is not based
                              on any published evaluation of the effect(s)
                              it may have on children. In fact, splitting
                              the MMR vaccine into three separate doses may
                              be harmful because it would expose children
                              unnecessarily to potentially serious
                              diseases. For instance, if rubella vaccine
                              were delayed, 4 million children would be
                              susceptible to rubella for an additional six
                              to 12 months. This would potentially allow
                              otherwise preventable cases of congenital
                              rubella syndrome (CRS) to occur. Infection of
                              pregnant woman with "wild" rubella virus is
                              one of the few known causes of autism. Thus,
                              by preventing infection of pregnant women,
                              rubella vaccine also prevents autism.

                              4. Should a younger sibling, or a child of
                              someone who suffered autism be vaccinated
                              with MMR or other vaccines?

                              Current scientific evidence does not support
                              the hypothesis that MMR, or any combination
                              of vaccines, cause the development of autism,
                              including regressive forms of autism.

                              While family history may need to be
                              considered in specific circumstances, no
                              contraindications to vaccination exist solely
                              on this basis. Genetic susceptibility to
                              severe events is worthy of further research.
                              A younger sibling or the child of someone who
                              suffered a vaccine adverse event usually can,
                              and should, safely receive the same vaccine.
                              This is especially true since the large
                              majority of adverse events after vaccination
                              are local reactions and fever, which do not
                              represent a contraindication.

                              Due to the general safety of vaccines, and
                              the rarity of serious vaccine adverse events,
                              it is extremely difficult to study whether a
                              subgroup (e.g., family members) are actually
                              at increased risk compared with the general
                              population. The one exception is an increased
                              risk of neurologic events--primarily febrile
                              seizures--after vaccination with DTP vaccine
                              and measles-containing vaccines (MCV). The
                              risk increases if any of these have
                              previously occurred in immediate family
                              members. Considering the rare occurrence of
                              these events after DTP and MCV vaccination,
                              the generally benign outcome of febrile
                              convulsions, and the risk of pertussis and
                              measles to unvaccinated people and the
                              general population, the Advisory Committee on
                              Immunization Practices concluded that a
                              history of convulsions in siblings or parents
                              should not be a contraindication to pertussis
                              or measles vaccination. Special care in the
                              prevention of post-vaccination fever may be
                              warranted in children with a family history
                              of seizures, however. Oral polio vaccine
                              (OPV) is contraindicated when there is a
                              family member with immune-deficiency since
                              OPV can spread to family contacts.

                              5. Should we delay vaccination until we know
                              more about the negative effects of vaccines?

                              There is no convincing evidence that vaccines
                              such as MMR and hepatitis B cause long term
                              health effects. On the other hand, we do know
                              that people will become ill and some will die
                              from the diseases these vaccines prevent.
                              Discontinuing a vaccine program based on
                              unproven theories would not be in anyone's
                              best interest. Isolated reports about these
                              vaccines causing long term health problems
                              may sound alarming at first. However, careful
                              review of the science reveals that these
                              reports are isolated and not confirmed by
                              scientifically sound research. Detailed
                              medical reviews of health effects reported
                              after receipt of vaccines have often proven
                              to be unrelated to vaccine but related to
                              other health factors. Because these vaccines
                              are recommended widely to protect the health
                              of the public, research into any theory about
                              their safety is important to follow and
                              further investigate. Several studies are
                              currently underway to further investigate
                              whether suggested long term effects are real
                              or false signals.

                              6. I have heard that measles virus was found
                              in specimens from intestines of children with
                              autism? Have these data been reviewed by
                              other scientists?

                              The recently released finding has not yet
                              been published in a scientific journal. This
                              means that it has not been reviewed by other
                              medical experts, before and after
                              publication, to assure the methods of the
                              study are sound. No other laboratories have
                              had similar findings. Such tests should be
                              repeated by several laboratories to ensure
                              accurate results. Several renowned measles
                              laboratories have offered to duplicate the
                              tests in order to validate the results. This
                              is a typical procedure that is followed in
                              medical research.

                              7. What if multiple laboratories confirmed
                              the presence of measles virus in specimens
                              from the intestines of children with autism?
                              Would that indicate that measles causes
                              autism?

                              Even if measles virus were consistently shown
                              to be present in intestinal specimens of
                              children, this would not conclusively
                              indicate that measles causes autism. It is
                              possible that the measles virus persists in
                              the intestines of children with autism, i.e,
                              the measles virus in the intestine is a side
                              effect of autism, not a cause. In addition,
                              in order to implicate measles virus as a
                              cause of autism, it would be important to
                              show that measles virus is not present in the
                              bowel of healthy children who are of the same
                              age as the autistic children and have the
                              same history of measles infection and the
                              same vaccination status. Also, there is no
                              scientific evidence to show how intestinal
                              inflammation with measles virus would cause
                              the chronic neurological and behavioral
                              difficulties seen with autism.

                              8. What if measles virus is shown to be
                              associated with autism? Would that mean we
                              should stop vaccinating against measles?

                              If measles virus is shown to be associated
                              with autism, it would be most likely that the
                              wild measles virus would be a greater cause
                              of autism than vaccine virus. Therefore, it
                              is likely that in preventing wild measles
                              virus infections, we also would be reducing
                              the total number of cases of autism. People
                              infected with wild type measles virus develop
                              severe infections. Vaccination exposes the
                              child to a weaker measles virus and prevents
                              the complications of these severe infections.
                              As an example, a severe degenerative
                              infection of the brain (sub-acute sclerosing
                              panencephalitis or SSPE) can occur following
                              wild - type measles virus infection. Vaccine
                              virus does not cause this severe degenerative
                              infection and vaccination programs in the
                              United States have virtually eliminated such
                              complications by controlling measles.

>> Pusing milih POP3 atau web mail? mail.telkom.net solusinya <<
>> Belanja Info & Keperluan Balita? Klik, http://www.balitanet.or.id
>> Info balita, http://www.balita-anda.indoglobal.com
Etika berinternet, email ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stop berlangganan, e-mail ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kirim email ke