   From: Stuart Walsh <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
   Cc: baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Sent: Thursday, 1 September 2011, 23:56
   Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Hammering on and snapping off
   There was an interview with Nigel North in a recent issue of the LSA
   quarterly (xlv/2, summer 2010), where he referred to those written out
   final phrases with many flags in English manuscripts around 1600. IIRC
   he said that the fact that they are written out, doesn't mean you have
   to hit each note with your right hand. Rather, these groups of very
   fast notes can be slurred.
   Isn't this some sort of heresy? Aren't there little dots in the
   tablatures carefully written out to indicate the articulation of thumb
   and finger, or fingers? Haven't people claimed that this is a feature
   of all music of that time - to articulate every note, rather than
   Baroque-style, to slur them?
   My admiration for Nigel North's musicianship knows no bounds but if
   this is true, why hasn't he, or other professional lute players, said
   this for years? If this is true, a gazillion more lute pieces are
   accessible to mere mortal amateurs.
   Stuart