>    was a phrase in Vieux Gaultier's Tombeau de Mezangeau (bar 2, second
>    third and fourth notes) that is a damn sight easier to play using
>    hammer-on.  To my biased ear it sounds more convincing too.

That may be due to widespread 20th century recordings of that pavane.

>    In fact I
>    wonder if this might really be an ornament (from below) written out to
>    show exactly what the composer intended?

The 1669 print was supervised by Gaultier himself. So it is safe to say that
the tablature shows his intentions. At this particular place, however, it
shows that no slur is intended since there is no slur sign.

Gaultier explains in his introduction that the curved line below a letter is
the sign for hammering-on (p. 4-5, #6: … qu'il faut laisser tomber quelque
doigt de la main gauche). He uses this sign for technical legato as well as
for port de voix.

Sometimes, he extends the line to two or three letters. The next piece in
that edition, Gigue du Vieux Gaultier (10-11) has such a slur sign in a
similar situation in bar 3.

Mathias