If anyone who has not seen that interview with Nigel, would like a copy
   I have some spares. Snail mail only, so if you think I don't have your
   address include it.
   Nancy
   At 05:59 AM 9/1/2011, Mathias Roesel wrote:

     There was an interview with Nigel North in a recent issue of the LSA
     quarterly (xlv/2, summer 2010), where he referred to those written
     out final
     phrases with many flags in English manuscripts around 1600. IIRC he
     said
     that the fact that they are written out, doesn't mean you have to
     hit each
     note with your right hand. Rather, these groups of very fast notes
     can be
     slurred.
     In a talk on French baroque lute music (Lute News 85, April 2008)
     Anthony
     Bailes mentioned the difficulties that Mersenne (1636) and Denis
     Gaultier
     (1669) met in indicating technical legato, and their respective
     solutions.
     With Mouton and Jeune Gallot, the curved line between two letters
     remained
     the standard sign for hammering-on.
     Mathias