Chris,

John Dowland complained that corrupted versions of his music were
circulating, and that's why he made his authorized edition. So did Denis
Gaultier! No reification of documents there!

> No, the print only reveals that no slur sign is there.  This is not the
same as no
> slur being intended, expected or tolerated.

We will never know what exactly Denis Gaultier intended because we cannot
ask him any more. We may assume, however, that the tablature represents his
intentions to the best of his then means because he supervised its making.

> the publisher and gave final approval, so even though this edition was
> "supervised by the composer himself," mistakes got through.  It is
entirely my
> fault, but things that weren't my intentions are now in print.

And we can ask you about it, fortunately. We can't ask Denis Gaultier. That
is why we can't claim that he forgot to correct an omitted slur sign. It's
not there in his authorized print, that's all we can say.

Doesn't mean you can't play a slur there according to your whim and taste.
Everybody is free to do as they please.

> The idea of the "composer's intentions" is a very slippery concept in
itself.

Yes!

> From everything we know of 17th century musical
> culture, with its expectation of improvisational skills, I have to believe
that my
> modern mental limits to malleability are much less flexible than
Gaultier's would
> have been.

May I quote: " The idea of the "composer's intentions" [= mental limits to
malleability, ed.] is a very slippery concept in itself."

Mathias