On , March 27 2001 22:30:54, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> Technically, `To: <foo>' is not a valid mail header, it must be either
> `To: foo' or `To: bla <foo>'.
>
> Nevertheless, BBDB should not barf when reading this.  Be liberal in
> what you accept, and so on...

Well it is accepting those, but not "<foo"!
And it is liberal, since those bad one will generate no
error, but you will get a message complaining about them ...

On , March 28 2001 06:04:25, Norbert Koch wrote:
[...]
> Another header version which bbdb dislikes is
> 'To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mr Foo)'.

I see you are using Gnus/5.090001 (Oort Gnus v0.01)
XEmacs/21.2 (Urania), but what BBDB Version are you using?
Without reveling it you will not get any help!

M-x bbdb-submit-bug-report is your friend!

On Wednesday, March 28 2001 07:48:06, Ronan Waide wrote:
[...]
> Hmm. This is probably all a side effect of BBDB implementing its own
> address parsing, which may or may not be a good idea. The problem
> being that mail-extr doesn't always return a useful value
> either.

And it will return just the first one without telling you
where to continue.  And it is not customizable.

I quote the docs of mail-extract-address-components:

: If ADDRESS contains more than one RFC-822 address, only the first is
:  returned.  Some day this function may be extended to extract multiple
:  addresses, or perhaps return the position at which parsing stopped.

Well so far nothing has changes in the last 6 years ... but
maybe the BBDB extract-stuff should go into mail-extr ...

> It is, however, poor behaviour for BBDB to whine about
> this stuff; if it gets past the MUA, BBDB should be able
> to make a reasonable stab at parsing it.

The MUA cares "nothing" about the content of the headers.
Actually I though of a function bouncing emails with wrong
headers instead of whining.  But everyone can have his own
function doing what ever he wants ...

Try this ... i have never tested it ;)

(defun xx-mail-extract-address-components (adstring)
       (append '("") (mail-extract-address-components adstring)))

(setq bbdb-extract-address-component-handler
      'xx-mail-extract-address-components)

> For the mean time, you can get around stuff like this by modifying
> bbdb-extract-address-components-regexp to cope with the bogus
> addresses.

If anyone is able to provide missing "components", please
mail them to this list in order to incorporate them into the
CVS ;)

On , March 28 2001 09:01:12, Colin Rafferty wrote:
> Norbert Koch writes:
>
> > Another header version which bbdb dislikes is
> > 'To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mr Foo)'.
>
> It works for me (BBDB version 2.00.06).
>
> See my `From'.
>
> Did this get broken?

After 2.00.06 there were new functions added to extract
multiple addresses from the headers and not just the first
one.

On , March 28 2001 21:17:10, Alex Schroeder wrote:
> Robert Fenk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > My guess: One of the headers (From,To,Reply-To), probably
> > the Reply-To header is not extracted correctly, as the
> > closing ">" seems to be missing.
> >
> > Do a  "M-: (mail-fetch-field "Reply-To") RET"
> > Does it return the complete header content?
> >
> > Remove this header and check whether it works then?
>
> When I do this in the summary buffer, I get nil.
> When I do this in the article buffer, I get "<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>".

Hmm strange ;/
Have you ever used edebug?
If so edebug bbdb/gnus-get-addresses and check from what
header the wrong header content is extracted.

M-x find-function RET bbdb/gnus-get-addresses RET
M-x edebug-defun RET

Select your message within Gnus and step (press "n") through
the function while checking the return values in the message
log.  At line 67 something is going wrong (if you are using
the current CVS version of BBDB) ...

On , March 28 2001 21:19:06, Alex Schroeder wrote:
[...]
>   bbdb-extract-address-components("<[EMAIL PROTECTED]")

As I said before the header content is not extracted
correctly ... maybe it is a problem related to Gnus/5.090001
(Oort Gnus v0.01) Emacs/20.7 ?

Bye Robert