    Ronan> I would really, REALLY like to force the compile
    Ronan> environment to be the same as the run environment;
    Ronan> specifically, if you compile BBDB under Emacs Y, then it
    Ronan> will only run under Emacs Y.

How same is "same"?  I mean, you could write the compiler's version
string into a variable and compare for equality, but that seems a bit
extreme.

    Ronan> Of course, this will no doubt upset people who run multiple
    Ronan> Emacs versions, and I don't particularly want to upset
    Ronan> people unnecessarily.

Data point: Debian GNU/Linux keeps a separate compiled version of each
library for each "flavor" of Emacs you have installed.  I think this
means XEmacs 21.1 vs 21.4, Mule vs not, and at least as many versions
of GNU Emacs.

There are two reasons why people don't use things like w3's sysdeps:
they're lots of work to keep up if you don't absolutely need to (ie,
you can live with the runtime inefficiencies), and probably hopeless if
the dependencies live inside macros/defsubsts.