The new release still fails to build properly if you don't have the VM
sources where emacs can find them, even if you ./configure --disable-vm:

/local/project/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-vm.el: error: file error (("Cannot open load file"
"vm-autoload"))

Digging into configure a bit, it seems that the effect of `--disable-*'
is to set enable_$ac_feature to `no', while the check for `--enable-*'
is simply ``is enable_$ac_feature not (null or unset)''.  I wonder if
this is a bug in my version of autoconf.  Does anyone else seem this
behavior?  This:

./configure --disable-vm && egrep "^all:.* vm " Makefile'

should tell you.  This issue is not specific to vm; it's just the most
obvious trigger since vm-autoload isn't shipped with Emacs.

chad