  Kai> Once upon a time, BBDB used one method for the coding system
  Kai> for .bbdb.  Now there is the variable bbdb-file-coding-system.

I don't have it.

  Kai> What's the right setting for this variable to provide safe
  Kai> migration with no data corruption?

No idea.

  Kai> Stupid me, I fooled around with things.  But other people are
  Kai> having problems because Emacs can't save the Latin-9 ß from my
  Kai> name in their Latin-1 .bbdb file.

  Kai> So I would like to find a way that BBDB loads the file in the
  Kai> old coding system (whatever it was, probably Latin-1 because I
  Kai> have (set-language-environment "Latin-1") in the init files),
  Kai> and then saves it in a better encoding (utf-8? emacs-mule?).

Some time ago I considered

(modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.bbdb\\>" 'utf-8)

but I resigned, because there are people who I have to send mail to in
koi8-r, some other who expect latin-3, some other who can read UTF-8
...  and I believe that at least at that period it was not possible to
convert utf8 -> koi8 (in oc-unicode; though it was possible to convert
the other way around: koi -> utf).

So, I've remained with the raw encoding, but these are incompatible
between the Emacsen (20/21).  This is why I avoid emacs-21: it spoils
.bbdb so badly that opening a gnus article crashes emacs-20.7 (which I
still prefer for some reasons).

  Kai> Is this possible?

It would be nice if I could have .bbdb in the portable and standard
utf-8, provided that gnus could honor posting styles and convert utf-8
to the desired encoding.  Or is it already possible?

[...]

--
Sergei