Ronan Waide <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm not sure who said this, as ironically at least one message in this
> thread was caught by my spam filter...

> I'm actually blocking some spam, and could probably block more, with
> Mailman's rather crap filtering, but unfortunately that just pipes
> everything into an admin queue instead of blocking it outright. I
> wonder how much of Sourceforge's bandwidth and disk is being wasted
> by their failure to implement antispam measures...

Well, the first and most effective anti-spam measure for a list is to
just require subscription to the list.  The bbdb-info list has been
around long enough, and its address is in enough scannable places that
it will end up on most spammer address collections.  Even with
whatever filtering is happening now, by far most of the postings in
the archive are spam.

In case it's among the filtered messages, I started this thread [1] by
volunteering to moderate the list - in Mailman 2.0 (which sourceforge
is using) you can make someone a 'moderator', which gives them the
ability to approve and deny postings and subscriptions, but not other
list options.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=1898615&forum_id=6987

--
Scott Lawrence