On Thu Dec 29 2011 Sam Steingold wrote:
> > * Roland Winkler <jvax...@tah.bet> [2011-12-29 02:48:14 -0600]:
> > On Wed Dec 28 2011 Sam Steingold wrote:
> >> If I set bbdb-check-auto-save-file to t, modify the db and not
> >> save it right away, I am asked all the time about recovering
> >> bbdb from the auto save file. with v2, I was asked this only
> >> when bbdb was first loaded, which was useful.
> >
> > This is one of the old features of BBDB where it is not clear to me
> > which problem they are supposed to address and what solution they are
> > supposed to provide. Under what conditions do you have an auto-save
> > file that is newer than your bbdb-file? In your opinion, what would be
> > a meaningful thing to do here, and why?
>
> The idea was that you modify the db as you read news and you might
> forget to save it when done reading the news/mail.
> That was raison d'etre for bbdb-offer-save which you removed - offer to
> save the db when done reading news/mail.

I am still confused. Why is the current behavior not appropriate for
your needs? If BBDB detects that you have an auto-save-file that is
newer than bbdb-file, why is it not OK to save it and then go on?

(When I read once more your first post above, it appears to me that
then you were expecting something different from what you are
expecting now. Apologies for my confusion!)