On 2012-02-13 07:30 +0800, Roland Winkler wrote:
> Previously, other people on this list have voted rather emphatically
> for an update of documentation before they wanted to consider
> switching from BBDB 2.x to 3. Personally I do not have strong
> feelings about the order of steps. I think that by now the code is
> sufficiently mature so that from that perspective it can be
> released. Potential users of this release (like all current users)
> will have to accept that a more coherent doumentation is still
> missing. On the other hand, it is probably fair to say that the new
> code has already more docstrings for its functions and variables
> than the old code.

I think some basic documentation is needed and let users know it is work
in progress. If you have the basic structure and documentation setup, it
will make it easier for users to contribute to portions of it. For
example, they might not have time to write the whole thing but can chip
in for some sections they care.

Some ideas for producing the texinfo file. Write it in a markup language
such as markdown or ReST which is readable already even without
converting to .info. Then convert to .texinfo. I know .rst has decent
support for that - rst2texinfo.py.

A more sophisticated documentation tool based on ReST can be found here
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/. All documentations written in it are
beautiful and it exports to a dozen of formats.

Regards,
Leo