On Tue, Mar 06 2012 23:42 (@1331073757), Roland Winkler wrote:

> On Tue Mar 6 2012 Sam Steingold wrote:
>> The correct term is not `export'.
>> The correct term is `sync'.
>> Once you have thousands records in your phone contacts and bbdb,
>> exporting/importing is a waste of time: you will need to sync/merge the
>> records by hand and it is unfeasible.
>>
>> Somehow gmail manages to sync its contacts with android.
>> We need the same kind of functionality: a modification of a record in
>> bbdb should trigger an update in gmail (which will then sync with
>> iphone/android on its own) and vv.
>>
>> This is no easy task (and I am not volunteering) - maybe we could get it
>> into google summer of code?
>
> For me, such a project would have rather low priority, too.

Personally this is the feature I miss most in BBDB. Searching my phone
contacts to type in information manually into BBDB is just annoying.

What kind of work would be required (in bbdb itself, on the protocol
level, glue code) to make syncing with a CardDAV server happen?

> But it seems to me that for the above the hidden BBDB field
> "timestamp" would be a possible starting point, see the command
> bbdb-timestamp-newer.
>
> Roland

---8<---[snipped 11 lines]---8<---

--