On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Brett Presnell <presn...@stat.ufl.edu>wrote:

Just FYI, back in October 2011 Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote on
> this list:
>
> > I put together some code that uses CouchDB to store Gnus group
> > subscriptions and marks in gnus-sync.el.  It works well; so well in
> > fact that I'm considering doing the same for BBDB records.  Imagine
> > having your BBDB entirely stored on a central server instead of a
> > local file.  Yes, kind of like LDAP, but not so hard to use and much
> > more accessible.
> >
> > In order to do this I will have to generalize and improve the
> > gnus-sync.el code that talks to CouchDB.  But I wanted to first find out
> > if this interests anyone (and please feel free to tell me my idea
> > sucks), or if there's existing functionality that I would be
> > duplicating.  I'm not aware of such.
>
> There was some further discussion about this and Ted seemed very willing
> to work further on it, but I'm not sure that it went anywhere.  I'm
> pretty sure that he did say that it was easy to set up a CouchDB server
> and that it shouldn't be difficult to exchange CouchDB records with
> other formats.

I feel it is the right direction for BBDB to evolve. More generically, a
good direction appears to be to abstract away the actual store and have
multiple backend implementations similar to Gnus, i.e. have a bbdb-file,
bbdb-couch, bbdb-sqlite, perhaps a bbdb-ldap and so on.

Ted, did you do some work that's happens to be just lying around on your
hard disk?

Cheers