Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwar...@gmx.de> writes:

> Personally this is the feature I miss most in BBDB. Searching my phone
> contacts to type in information manually into BBDB is just annoying.
>
> What kind of work would be required (in bbdb itself, on the protocol
> level, glue code) to make syncing with a CardDAV server happen?

Just FYI, back in October 2011 Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote on
this list:

> I put together some code that uses CouchDB to store Gnus group
> subscriptions and marks in gnus-sync.el.  It works well; so well in
> fact that I'm considering doing the same for BBDB records.  Imagine
> having your BBDB entirely stored on a central server instead of a
> local file.  Yes, kind of like LDAP, but not so hard to use and much
> more accessible.
>
> In order to do this I will have to generalize and improve the
> gnus-sync.el code that talks to CouchDB.  But I wanted to first find out
> if this interests anyone (and please feel free to tell me my idea
> sucks), or if there's existing functionality that I would be
> duplicating.  I'm not aware of such.

There was some further discussion about this and Ted seemed very willing
to work further on it, but I'm not sure that it went anywhere.  I'm
pretty sure that he did say that it was easy to set up a CouchDB server
and that it shouldn't be difficult to exchange CouchDB records with
other formats.