On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Roland Winkler <wink...@gnu.org> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for doing this. Two things:
>
> - My first name is Roland

Ah, indeed :)

> - I suggest to replace the 2nd paragraph by something like the
>   following

I have rewritten along lines you have suggested and pushed it. Please take
a look.

> You also mentioned "backward compatibility" that should / could be
> addressed. I do not know what this could mean more specifically.
> (I do not expect it will ever be feasible / useful to provide a
> "compatiblity mode" that allows a user of v2 to switch to v3 without
> worrying about anything.)

Backwards compatibility for me would mean a few distinct things:

1. Will my old customizations work with the new code

2. If I use BBDB v3 and don't like it can I go back to v2

v3 fails the test on both counts.

#1 might never get fixed given the direction we've headed.

#2 can and should get fixed. I find it quite amusing in fact, the
bbdb-migrate stuff has always had the hooks to downgrade to an earlier file
format version - until now, i.e., when it is needed more than ever before
really :) One of these days...

-Karra