Okay, after fumbling around here's what I've found out. I apologize if
I'm stating the obvious but I've just started using bbedit and have
never done anything with applescript.

The Scratchpad file that is called up when I use Keyboard Maestro
lives here:

/library/application support/bbedit

There is one strange thing about it. It doesn't show an extension, but
info says it's a text file. I can see what I've written on it with
quick view. However, if I click on it to open it the apple script
editor opens it. I get an error that says "a identifier can't go after
this identifier".

I have two projects, and when I click "show package contents" they
both have a Scratchpad file inside. Each maintains it's own info. And
unlike the global scratchpad in application support, they do show
a .txt extension, and when clicked, are opened by bbedit.

If I open either project scratchpad their name is scratchpad.txt. But
when I open the global Scratchpad with my keyboard shortcut, it only
says Scratchpad, without the .txt extension, in the title bar. Which,
I assume, is because of what I mentioned earlier (though it's a text
file it's set to open with the apple script editor).

So to sum up, what I see is one scratchpad not attached to any
project, and a scratchpad for each project I create. That's the only
way it makes sense to me. Am I correct?

And secondly, should I be concerned that the global Scratchpad in
bbedit application support shows no extension, and is set to be opened
with the apple script editor? I thought this might simply be because
the file was created with an apple script, and I also thought I could
just go to info and change what the file is associated with from the
apple script editor to bbedit, but I thought I might screw something
up.

Sorry this is so long and for any confusion.

gary