Chris,

If I may ask one more question. I promise, my last.

As I said, everything works great. I can get to the scratchpad no
matter what I'm doing, and quickly. I was curious though. Something
like Simplenote has a preference for a shortcut key. If I'm in Safari
and press f11 Simplenote appears. I can then press f11 and its gone,
with the focus returned to Safari (I don't have to re-click safari or
switch back to it). Is something like that possible with applescript
and keyboard maestro or is that beyond their capabilities?

cheers,
gary

On Aug 27, 10:52 pm, gary <garyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> just copy it over.
>
> The only thing I'm really curious about is why the document called up
> by the apple script doesn't have a .txt extension. But as long is
> doesn't cause problems I'll just ask no questions :)
>
> Again, thanks for your help and patience. I really do appreciate it.
>
> cheers,
> gary
>
> On Aug 27, 8:21 pm, Christopher Stone <listmeis...@thestoneforge.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Hey Gary,
>
> > Thanks for taking the time to suss this out.
>
> > On Aug 27, 2011, at 18:15, gary wrote:
>
> > > The Scratchpad file that is called up when I use Keyboard Maestro lives
> > > here:
> > > /library/application support/bbedit
>
> > Right.  There lives the global Scratchpad file.
>
> > > There is one strange thing about it. It doesn't show an extension, but
> > > info says it's a text file. I can see what I've written on it with quick
> > > view. However, if I click on it to open it the apple script editor opens
> > > it. I get an error that says "a identifier can't go after this
> > > identifier".
>
> > Don't worry about that.  It IS odd that it would be associated with the
> > Applescript Editor on your machine rather than TextEdit but not terribly.
>
> > You can change it in the Finder if you want to.
>
> > The error is caused by the Applescript Editor trying to compile it into
> > Applescript.
>
> > > I have two projects, and when I click "show package contents" they both
> > > have a Scratchpad file inside. Each maintains it's own info. And unlike
> > > the global scratchpad in application support, they do show a .txt
> > > extension, and when clicked, are opened by bbedit.
>
> > Okay.  I had noticed the 'Scratchpad' and 'Unix Worksheet' items associated
> > with the project, but I never access them in the file pane and didn't
> > realize they were part of the project rather than the global files.
>
> > Learn something new and all that...
>
> > > And secondly, should I be concerned that the global Scratchpad in bbedit
> > > application support shows no extension, and is set to be opened with the
> > > apple script editor?
>
> > No.
>
> > > I thought this might simply be because the file was created with an apple
> > > script
>
> > The file is not created with Applescript.  The script simply calls the
> > global Scratchpad window.
>
> > > and I also thought I could just go to info and change what the file is
> > > associated with from the apple script editor to bbedit, but I thought I
> > > might screw something up.
>
> > This should not cause any problems.
>
> > --
>
> > From the BBEdit 10 Release Notes:
>
> > ◦ There's a new command on the Window menu: "Show Unix Worksheet". This
> > will open a worksheet document that is application-wide, and backed by a
> > worksheet file saved in your Application Support/BBEdit folder. Like the
> > Scratchpad, changes here are saved automatically.

There's also a "Unix worksheet window" application property available to