Nick,

SmartSVN 7 uses SVNKit 1.7.5 for Java. It is a Subversion client written in
Java. It is not a git client. The reason the local working copy metadata is
different is due to the difference between how svn 1.6 and 1.7 operate. svn
1.6 keeps its metadata in flat files in the invisible .svn directories
you'll find in every working copy directory that contains versioned files.
svn 1.7 keeps its metadata in a SQLite database. The only .svn directory in
a svn 1.7 working copy is to be found in the root. This will be true
whether it was checked out with SmartSVN or the svn command line client
(which you can obtain from Apache and build with make). A working copy
checked out with svn 1.7 will be fully compatible with SmartSVN and
vice-versa. A working copy checked out with an svn 1.6 command-line client
or SmartSVN 6.x can be opened with a svn 1.7-compatible client, but it will
have to be upgraded by the client, which will make it incompatible with svn
1.6.

To se if you have an svn command-line client installed, enter "which svn"
in the terminal. If it's in the command path, the pathname of the svn
client will be printed. If it says, "/usr/bin/svn," BBEdit should be able
to use it, but if it's not svn 1.7, it won't work with the newer
directories. If that's the case, you should be able to select Open Log File
from BBEdit's Subversion menu and see a message to that effect. If Open Log
File is not available, it means you either don't have svn or it is not at
/usr/local/bin. BBEdit doesn't check any other locations, but if you need
to install it in another location, you can tell BBEdit where it is by
entering "defaults write com.barebones.bbedit SubversionToolPathOverride
/path/to/svn/binary" in the terminal.

Now for the fun part.

Suppose you download svn 1.7, build it, and install it in /usr/bin/ and
BBEdit recognizes it, and you can even select Show Working Copy Status...
from BBEdit's Subversion menu, and it recognizes the working copy, you
still won't be able to use most of the Subversion menu commands. Why? Well,
apparently BBEdit doesn't use the svn command to determine if a file is
under source control. Instead, it checks for a .svn directory in the file's
directory. This worked fine with svn 1.6, but svn 1.7 working copies don't
have them except in the root.

Until BareBones gets around to fixing this, you can write a script to
recurse the working copy hierarchy and make .svn directories. This is kind
of a pain in the neck, because now you'll have all these unversioned
directories all over your working copy. If you check them in, this will
cause problems for anyone sharing that repo who is using svn 1.6 locally.
If you tell your client to ignore them, that will change the properties on
your root, which is also seen as an uncommitted local update, and the next
time you update from the repo, you'll get a conflict, but you can't commit
it because somebody might still be using svn 1.6 and, well, actually, I'm
not sure what this will do to them, but I don't want to find out.

So for now I'm just ignoring them. I never do directory commits anyway.

By the way, I haven't reported this bug, but I think they're aware of it.
You can report it if you want. I've already used my quota for a while.

Let me know if you need any help installing svn or if you'd like to see a
copy of my .svn folder script.