>Hugh Lovel wrote: Snip - To me the best thing that has happened to
>Steiner's work
>is that Demeter (Anne Mendenhall) has said "We own the term biodynamic and we
>control its use." Now if you want to really use Steiner's ideas in freedom you
>have to go beyond the term biodynamic.
>
>I do not understand under which Legal System, Demeter or anyone else can claim
>ownership of either the name or the concept.
>
>Once something has been put in the public domain (published) it is not
>able to be
>Patented.
>
>Even if something is Patented, an individual can make one for one's own
>use, but
>not to sell the actual item, but I believe one can use one's own replica
>to make
>something else and sell that. Example: you access the Patent of a device
>to cut
>holes in reinforced concrete and make your copy of the device, you can use
>that s
>part of your business, but not sell the actual device.
>
>I do not believe Demeter can claim any contribution to the intellectual
>property.
>I do not think that RS claimed that anything he offered was uniquely his
>original
>work. I understand that in the "Agricultural Lectures", he was
>reintroducing old
>customs, that had been lost through changing practises and offering some
>explanation as to how they may function, as he encouraged us to innovate.
>
>Gil

Dear Gil,

No doubt if anyone has the money to fight Demeter their trademark will be
canceled. It was awfully wrong for them to proceed on that path. But I made
that as plain as I could to them and they pig-headedly went for it anyway.
What I realized was that even if they backtrack and apologise to everyone
I'm not comfortable with calling myself biodynamic if it means I become
associated with the kind of behavior Demeter has shown. I don't want to be
branded with the nomenclature of a stuck-up insular cult.

Best,
Hugh