It's probably not relevant to you but I have a stream fed by an old mining
adit which provides typical iron-waste water (deposits of soft, sticky
orange-coloured sediment).  In the stream-bed, I grow the most luscious,
tangy watercress I've ever tasted.  I occasionally water other crops with it
(although I admit I mostly use the public water supply, which is good) and
it seems to do no harm;  I also dredge the iron-rich mud from the stream-bed
and have used it, mixed with garden compost and discarded peat, to build up
growing beds which have been quite productive.  I leave the spiritual
implications of a high iron content to our BDNow gurus, though !
                               Tony N-S.